Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LA312 Maytag Washer with s/n 359724  (Read 160 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
LA312 Maytag Washer with s/n 359724
« on: June 10, 2021, 12:01:55 AM »

I was asked to look at the above model washer  for possible repair. It is in need a a new top cover for the wash basket since the old one which is metal is rusted very bad at a section close to the water inlet deflector. I have tried to patch it using  some epoxy but it is just about a lost cause. Does anyone have an idea if a newer plastic type cover would fit in place of this old metal one which is possibly P/N 2-6381 ?  This older Maytag unit is likely 35 years old.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: LA312 Maytag Washer with s/n 359724
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 02:18:28 PM »
The local dealer told me that the original metal part is no longer available as a new replacement part. Also the newer version of the top cover made from plastic will not fit. With this situation I used some thin metal splice plates and pop rivets to tie the sections together. I then used some liquid rubber to seal up some gaps at the joints. Hopefully this will hold it together and prevent any water leaks.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: LA312 Maytag Washer with s/n 359724
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:18:39 AM »
This unit was given free gratis to a person who took it knowing there was a possible problem.  It actually worked pretty good  when I  ran a load of clothes yesterday with no leaks