Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Frigidaire Range - Strange heating problems  (Read 650 times)

Offline bkadueck

• VIP Member
Frigidaire Range - Strange heating problems
« on: May 22, 2021, 12:41:17 PM »

Hey everyone,

My Frigidaire convection range has been heating inconsistently and intermittently. It is about 8 years old. I have replaced the control board in the past.

Description of problem:
- Sometimes the temperature heats very slowly
- Sometimes the display indicates the temp is at the proper temp, but it is obviously not that hot (food cooking too slow)
- When it is obviously not the right temp, we can hit cancel and re-enter the desired temp for baking, and the display shows what the actual temp was as it now attempts to reheat.
- When we use broil, it appears to heat up quicker, but when we switch it back to bake (or convection) the temp tends to drop again
- Convection seems to have a higher chance of heating more consistently

I have tested the elements and the temp sensor (as per many youtube videos using a multimeter) and everything appears to be working well from that end.

There are no error messages showing up on the display.

The control board has no visible 'burnt' parts that are problematic.

Should I spend the money on replacing the control board? Or could it be a fuse issue? Are there ways to test for it?

Is there something else that might be the problem?

Offline manden

• Technician
Re: Frigidaire Range - Strange heating problems
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 06:15:15 AM »
Sounds like the control board has gone bad again.

The problem is intermittant so it will be problematic to find it.

The board does not need obvious blown parts to be bad.

Since this is temperature related check the connections to the temperature sensor.
Check the connections and tracks on the board for a bad solder joint in the area where the probe is attached.
A bad/cold solder joint is often a duller grey color and may also have pin holes.
Gently wiggle the connection pins while looking at ther solder side of the board to see if they move.

Offline bkadueck

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 09:41:14 AM »
Thanks so much for your answer. It appears that the solders all look good.

Strangely enough, since I disconnected all the burners to test continuity, I haven't noticed the inconsistency again. Although maybe I'm just getting lucky.

Do you think there's a chance that disconnecting and reconnecting all the element wires might have helped in some way?

I really appreciate your help!

Offline manden

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 06:12:02 AM »
Yes it could have but I would have thought that there would be signs of overheating on the bad connection wire.