Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag gas dryer model MGD5707 TQ0  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Maytag gas dryer model MGD5707 TQ0
« on: May 13, 2021, 03:37:55 PM »

I was given the above model dryer  today with a note that it would not work. It was not turning on  the blower or turning the drum  or heating.. The unit is very clean inside and out and no damage was found so far in the electric controls but I am looking for advice . I have checked the following items so far with no luck ./ The door switch is OK. The ignitor was checked for resistance and was at normal specs and no damage to this ceramic type was found. The thermal fuse is OK .Flame sensor is OK.  Main T-=stat shows continuity. The limiting t-stats are showing continuity. The timer is running as shown by the small wheel in the window on the back face. The gas  solenoids are in proper specs. The push to start switch is working as best as I can tell. The internal light for the drum is working.  The timer is rotating but I stiil cant get it to fire. About the only thing I have not done is try to bypass the timer . If any of you techs have some other hints or can suggest which terminals of the timer to bypass I would like to hear from you.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Maytag gas dryer model MGD5707 TQ0
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 04:14:02 PM »
Today I decided to try something else since I cannot find a problem that is preventing this unit from working. I removed the drum  to allow more room to get at things and plugged the unit in to the 110 volt and turned the dryer to timed dry. I then used a wooden stick and pushed the centrifigal switch disk in the end of the motor which normally does notcome into play until the motor comes up to speed. A buzzing sound exists but no sparks or rotation. Pushing on the start button made no difference. Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 04:46:00 PM »
A little more info that might provide some ideas. When the centrifugal switch is pushed in with the wooden stick I can hear the gas solenoids clicking/thumping. Also the  push to start switch housing is slightly warm to the touch.?

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 12:05:18 PM »
 Not being a person who gives up easily I tried a different wiring arrangement to verify the motor was OK.  I hooked up a jumper wire from point /terminal #4 on the motor to the 3rd /small connector in the wire harness on the wire  that is normally hooked up to the push-to-start control on the control panel. I ran another jumper from #5 terminal on the motor to a white wire from the door switch. Touching the jumper to a terminal, It runs the motor OK but will not turn on the solenoids as the red wire would need to be hooked up in the circuit. I also removed the small  electronic control card  in the panel area and examined it and no problems are evident . With this effort I believe the problem is in the push to--start switch. I will have to source one and try it . If anyone has some other suggestions I would love to hear them.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 09:30:37 AM »
Installed a new push to start switch  but the unit will still not fire up or operate. The search continues for the cause !

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 10:53:43 AM »
After a lot of work I decided to try one more approach to this problem. I put a bypass wire at the motor connector block  for the white connection leading to the door switch white wire. I also put a bypass wire in place at the motor connector block at  the blue supply and hooked it to the small connector terminal of the 3 pin connection at the push-to-start switch. The unit will now fire up and run but does not function properly  yet. The unit will start up and run but will not shut off when the door is opened but will shut off when the timer is rotated to the off position. Further work will be done as time permits.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 03:25:19 PM »
This unit is going to be scrapped after removing any usable parts.