Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag A612 not draining, burning rubber smell  (Read 481 times)

Offline mookie3333

• VIP Member
Maytag A612 not draining, burning rubber smell
« on: April 19, 2021, 02:30:56 PM »

I have an old Maytag A612 (I think.. nameplate is all scratched up, I also see 745G on there) top loading washer, and recently have noticed a burning rubber smell when the barrel is on spin cycle.  At the same time, I also noticed two other strange symptoms.  (1) The barrel never drains, and  (2) on the timer, it shoots past the "off" scenario and continues into the cycle on the other side of the knob.  Does anyone have a parts diagram for the machine?  Also, any idea what the problem could be?  I thought maybe the drive belt is worn/loose, but does that also operate the drain pump? 
Thanks guys.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Maytag A612 not draining, burning rubber smell
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 06:32:48 AM »
That machine sounds like the older 2 belt design which was in its time a very good reliable unit. The drain pump may be worn out or has something stuck inside it causing the belt to slip. The timer may have a worn  motor drive gear. They are made of plastic and can be dismantled to inspect for problems. If that is the problem you may be able to find a replacement timer on E Bay. I have several old ones also.

Offline mookie3333

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 08:17:07 PM »
Today I finally drained the tub using a mini submersible pump.  Disconnected everything, tilt back, and notice that the drain belt has jumped off, and the drive belt is pretty eaten up as well.  Drain pulley had come off the shaft, when I pressed it back on and tried to spin, it didn't move.  When I took it apart, found my kids sock stuck in the pump.  After removal, the pump still doesn't spin too smoothly, so I think I'll just replace the pump, as well as the two belts and see how it goes.  Hope that's somehow tied to the issue where the timer overruns "off", if it's not, I don't know how that could happen the same time as this snapped belt/pump issue (coincidence??)  Thanks guys, I'll report back. 

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 09:07:46 AM »
The timer problem has nothing to do with the drain pump problem and needs to be looked at it as a separate situation.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 08:33:41 PM »
In the older Maytag washers ,if it didn't drain the timer would advance into the next cycle. The pressure switch reads as being full of water and the timer motor would receive power to it and advance into the next cycle. That was a common issue 30 years ago.