Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: something missing from agitator parts list  (Read 168 times)

Offline reggoboy

• VIP Member
something missing from agitator parts list
« on: April 17, 2021, 08:04:42 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I have a Whirlpool Washer. Model is LA5200XTWO, but some sites appear to use a zero as the last character.

The problem is that there is nothing holding the upper agitator onto the lower agitator. So during the cycle, the upper one comes loose and bangs loudly on the lid.

When you take off the cap and look inside, you see the screw and washer tightly attached to the lower agitator. But you can pull the upper agitator right off. Whatever the washer is supposed to be grabbing is not there.

The parts diagram doesn't show any "dog" or "dog assembly" of any kind:

http://lookup.allbrandonline.com/diagramenlarge/3/0/754669/121640

But it's clear that at least some type of retainer ring is missing. You can see 4 posts where around the hole at the bottom of the upper agitator, adjacent to where the screw is. And there are 4 holes in the other wall of the upper agitator, too. Clearly, something is supposed to snap in there and act as the retaining ring that the screw would hold onto, but nothing is there.

Parts stores want me to buy the lower or upper agitators. But I already have those. I just need this retaining ring or whatever is missing, which is probably a lot cheaper than $180.

Can you please help?

Thanks!

Offline HerbG

• Technician
Re: something missing from agitator parts list
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 07:36:27 AM »
The upper part of your agitator assembly is a manual filter. It is designed to be removed, cleaned, and replaced. The collar on yours is chipped away so that it no longer keeps it secure during operation. It needs to be replaced (WP63753) rather expensive unless you can find a used one.