Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Tabletop Fridge Not Starting - Compressor Measures 135 Ohms?  (Read 352 times)

Offline sazbaztaz

• VIP Member
Tabletop Fridge Not Starting - Compressor Measures 135 Ohms?
« on: April 06, 2021, 09:43:19 AM »

Hi I will try to describe my issue as short and clean as possible. So, I have a small tabletop fridge rated 60W and recently stopped working.

When plugged in, every 5mins or so i hear a clicking sound which I think is the overload protector kicking in.

I've unplugged the connectors and all the components from the compressor and checked each part.

The relay measures 15 Ohms and the small disk inside looks ok. It's not fallen apart or burnt.

The overload protector looks good as-well, usual rattling sound when shaked but that one measures 3.3 Ohms so not sure about that one.

Measured the ohmage of the compressor connectors and they add up spot on.

I did not write them down and can't be exact here but eg A-B is 135 ohms, A-C is 90 ohms and B-C is 45 ohms.

So the two smaller readings added together matches the highest reading.... but how come the highest reading is above 100 ohms?!!

Tried bypassing the overload protector and plugging in for a minute to check but the same result. So it's not the overload protector... (thaught 3.3 ohms for the overload is bit too high...).

When I plug in the fridge and measure the Amperage drawn from the mains with a clamp meter its around 1.85 Amps but the compressor is not starting.

So in short... the overload protector and the relay should be fine. The compressor ohmage at A B and C points add up except the ohmage readings are extremely high.

Fridge brand is iGenix IG3711

Compressor model is single phase DFB30L-1F

I would appreciate any help or advice. Especially regarding the high ohmage reading. I'm not a white goods engineer but have a good knowledge of electrics averall and as far as I'm aware readings should be typically around 10 ohms?

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
Re: Tabletop Fridge Not Starting - Compressor Measures 135 Ohms?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 04:44:33 PM »
Try moving ur white wire to the opposite side of the relay

Offline sazbaztaz

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 07:20:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply Harold. You mean bypassing the overload protector? If yes i already did that. Cut a piece of wire and joined from input to output bypassing the overload protector. Same result. I plug it back in, amperage drawn is around 1.85A but nothing. The motor does not start.

Offline sazbaztaz

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 06:08:52 AM »
Please see attached for the original wiring...

Red: mains connections
Purple: thermostat connections
Yellow: capacitor connections

Should I try and reverse the yellow cables?

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 06:34:48 AM »
I would never recommend by passing anything. I make all my relay an overload protector set ups from scratch. I use a 3 terminal compressor relay with a 1 terminal ol protector and wire in run capacitor when applicable. If I suspected this component was faulty I would yank all the wires off of it and do my own set up.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 06:41:30 AM by haroldsappliance »

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 06:45:44 AM »
This is an oddball set up from the norm and explaining the changeover would go into great detail. Especially if your not experienced

Offline sazbaztaz

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 12:16:15 PM »
Thanks for letting me know. Since then I've tried hard starting the compressor but same results. No start just pulls about 3.5 amps. The motor is jammed or something.