Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag LA412 wont start agitating without help  (Read 209 times)

Offline Keithb

• VIP Member
Maytag LA412 wont start agitating without help
« on: April 01, 2021, 04:36:48 PM »

Hi, my maytag LA412 sometimes does not start agitating.  I tried the standard repairs of new belts and motor tensioner slide guides and springs, but sometimes I can still hear the belt slipping and the the agitator won't start until I override the lid switch and manually turn the agitator. Once it starts it finishes the washing cycle with no problem.  When i replace the belts and tensioner hardware I noticed the drive pully was difficult to turn and seemed to have a lot of drag and require quite a bit of torque to turn.  Any thoughts or suggestions on how to identify and resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated.  My wife will not part with this washer for any new piece of junk so I'm condemned to repair this one for the rest of my life.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Maytag LA412 wont start agitating without help
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 07:38:57 AM »
I believe this model has a brake arrangement under the tub. It sounds crazy to do this but I did it to a unit I had last year with success. Squirt some lube on the brake disc and see if that helps.

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 07:21:32 AM »
I bet you it's the drain pump that was making the noise.If you remove the belt,turn the transmission pulley,the motor,and the pump separately,you will find out the pump is making the noise.

Offline HerbG

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 08:51:31 AM »
Your Maytag washer is about 35 years old and that model had 2 variations.  I first was the last usage of the helical transmission with the old agitator. The second version was the introduction of orbital transmission with new style agitator that had a smaller base and small fins on the vertical portion.  The original tranny was  prone to oxidation of the tranny lube that made it too thick. This may be the condition you are experiencing. By "helping" the agitator to begin the cycle you are warming the lube and thereby reducing its viscosity.  It will then finish the cycle but when you're done for the day and come back tomorrow it has cooled off. The repair for this removing the tranny and replacing the oil.  If you have the newer orbital style ( with front removed this tranny  has a flat cover with 6 bolts). The most common problem with this tranny is the agitator shaft would lose lubrication and create your condition or worse become frozen in the housing. Its repair also requires removal of the tranny and replacement of the agitator shaft.

Offline Keithb

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 10:00:54 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.  From the the feedback I think HerbG has identified the most likely cause of my issue.  If I don't help the agitator start, I can smell the belt staring to burn so I'm pretty sure it's not the pump.  I have owned the machine since it was new and I know I have the older style transmission.  I think I am going to do a complete tear down and rebuild so it hopefully it outlives me.  If you have any suggestions on what additional parts I should replace in the process that would be very helpful.  I am assuming I will need to replace all seal and bearings and probably the water pump.  I would sooner spend the time and money on this machine rather than buy a new one and plan on it lasting 7-10 years