Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag Agitation Issues - Please Help!!  (Read 262 times)

Offline Brucega7x

• VIP Member
Maytag Agitation Issues - Please Help!!
« on: March 15, 2021, 08:14:54 PM »

Hi guys,

I have an older Maytag washer (bought it used a few years ago, but I'd guess it's probably about 10-12 years old at this point... Model number under the lid says it's a 35-5369 - which literally doesn't turn up squat for parts, etc when searching for anyhting...so there's that.

Anyway, doing laundry yesterday, the agitator suddenly started making a grinding noise. Immediately I figured the dogs went out. They're fine. So I took the entire agitator assembly off and the noise is still there. So the grinding is coming from the shaft itself or below.

With the entire agitator assembly off and the shaft exposed, the shaft spins perfectly fine, but if you grab it with your hands, it stops. It's like something somewhere in the drive line is slipping when the slightest bit of resistance is on the shaft. But I don't know what it could be or where to start looking.

The thing probably isn't worth whatever parts would cost, so I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to suck it up and buy a new washer if it's not a cheap repair.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Offline Dash

• Technician
Re: Maytag Agitation Issues - Please Help!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 01:51:46 PM »
If the belt on the washer is decent (assuming it's belt drive) you should not be able to stop the agitator shaft with your hands.  If you have a direct-drive Maytag (built by Whirlpool), if the motor coupling ~$15 is cracked or broken, it may act as you describe.  Motor coupling is easy to change.  Try to find the proper model number and post it.  Model number should start with letters.