Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: It still working like new  (Read 341 times)

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
It still working like new
« on: March 14, 2021, 08:30:48 PM »

Many of you are wondering how my old Maytag Neptune washer is doing. Most Neptunes have long since been retired due to leaks, bearing failure, control board failure and lack of spare parts.

Well, mine is still going strong. It lives out in my unheated garage here in Alabama and washes clothes better than the new washer in the house.

The most recent repair was a new set of bearings and seal for the "non-repairable" tub. I feed it with a garden hose and let it drain onto the driveway. Need really dirty clothes cleaned? The Neptune gets the job :buttrock: done. Costs of repair so far? ...about $75.00. No signs of quitting...its like a Timex....it just keeps on tickin'. I wonder how much longer it will last?  :popcorn:
I used to repair MK56 GFCS RADAR...now, I'm a farmer.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: It still working like new
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 07:14:09 AM »
Wow! Thatís crazy how long you have kept that machine running. Good job!
Thanks for the update
Start investing with Acorns today!
Get $5 when you use my invite link: https://acorns.com/invite/PP5XSA

Offline Dash

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 02:03:37 PM »
At our shop, we still recommend bearing jobs on Maytag Neptunes if the electronics still work.  Maytag Neptunes are quite a bit easier to change bearings on because you don't have to completely remove the innards like you do on all other front-load washers.

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 08:25:33 PM »
My bearing change was not difficult. Did it in about 3 hours never having done it before. The current bearings and seal are working fine. I wish that there was still a source for control board repair. Mine works fine and has the new wax motor, and improved triac on the board. Should last a long time. But, there are still Neprunes out there that might need a new board. None available that I am aware of. That means otherwise good Neptune washers must be scrapped. Pity.   :please:
I used to repair MK56 GFCS RADAR...now, I'm a farmer.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 07:09:38 AM »
Send me a picture of your board. I might have 1 or 2 on my shelves at the shop