Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Viking range/oven  (Read 301 times)

Offline mack1416

• VIP Member
Viking range/oven
« on: March 05, 2021, 08:38:17 AM »

Hello all,

Hoping someone can give me some guidance, apologies in advance this might be a long description, I have been messing with this thing for a while now.

I did a kitchen remodel on a budget, and bought a used 48" viking range, with 6 burners on top, a griddle and two ovens and 18" and a 30". Unfortunately, I have determined over the last few months that someone has really messed with it over time. It has never worked right, in fact when I first hooked it up the 30" range did not light at all and the 18" side would light half the burner.

The cook top burners and the griddle worked, although the griddle didn't seem to fully light but never had the top off the griddle when it was on.

So my first course of action was to replace the igniters on the large oven, which did at least get the oven to turn on, I would get both burners to half light. When I was replacing the igniters I noticed some corrosion on the burner tubes, not much but I thought maybe it was affecting the gas flow. So thats where I headed next. I ordered 3 burner tubes with the intention of replacing all the tubes in both ovens.

When the tubes arrived I noticed that they were different than what was in the oven, after much digging and emailing with a viking parts supplier I determined that at some point someone had changed the tubes in the ovens to something different. So once I was convinced I did have the correct tubes I installed them with high hopes. Got basically the same result, maybe slightly worse, one tube would half light (one side) then the other tube would maybe 1/4 light one side of the burner. At this point the small oven still has the old (over sized burner tube and the larger oven has both new burners)

So in my head, I figured, well if someone modified the burner tubes to something different they probably needed to adjust the gas flow to get the over sized burners to work correctly. So I researched how to adjust the gas valve. When I went to adjust it I noticed its not the correct style for the range and looked to be in questionable shape. So I ordered and replaced the gas valve.

Once I replaced the gas valve which is on the left side of the unit, I could smell gas coming out of the right side of the unit. So I tore apart the unit and did the soapy water on all the connections till I found the leak. Tightened it up and resolved that issue.

However when i turned the ovens on I got, more or less the same results with partial burners in the oven. Occasionally the small oven will fully light, but rarely. It will consistently light half the burner. I have adjusted the gas flow a bit up and a bit down to see how that changed the scenario, but overall nothing seemed to really change that. I should also note after changing the gas valve, the griddle no longer lights.

So that is basically where I am at now.  The other thing that has crossed my mind is perhaps the inlet gas line is not sufficient or the safety valve that comes with the newer gas lines is restricting the gas flow?

It has one of these in the gas line safety's "The BrassCraft Safety+PlusŪ2 Thermal Excess Flow Valve restricts gas flow in the event of a gas line rupture or disconnect. Our patented valve only limits gas flow at the appliance. The rest of your system will continue to function, and the valve automatically resets once the gas line is repaired."

Any help would be appreciated, I have been tempted to call a repair person, but I really dont want to spend the money nor do I want this thing to win.

Thanks
Mike

Offline mack1416

• VIP Member
Re: Viking range/oven
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 08:08:12 AM »
Lots of views and no thoughts on what my problem might be. Guess its as confusing as it seems to be to me.

Thanks for looking!

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 09:01:16 PM »
It sounds like a gas pressure problem.

You would need to check the gas pressure before and after the regulator to see if it's a problem.

Offline mack1416

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 08:27:56 AM »
Thanks Tcarman, appreciate the thoughts. I have been thinking that gas flow/pressure is my issue, I got a new "professional" gas line just have not gotten around to installing it yet, I dread moving the oven, its so heavy.

I will post if it solves my issues, thanks again!