Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Frigidaire frosting up again  (Read 277 times)

Offline richin501

• VIP Member
Frigidaire frosting up again
« on: March 02, 2021, 07:15:25 AM »

18 year-old Frigidaire side-by-side
I replaced the defrost thermostat about 6 years ago
2 weeks ago it started getting warmer inside and I see it is frosting up. Removing the back panels I noted that the aluminum strap holding the defrost heater up in place had melted through and the heater had dropped down. I manually defrosted, tied heater back in place with stainless wire and it worked for a week and a half, but has now started warming up and frosting over. in diagnosing the problem I also replaced the control board.

My suspicion is that the heater bit the dust and melted through the aluminum strap on its journey to the convalescent home.

How do I set manual defrost to confirm my suspicion.

Offline richin501

• VIP Member
Re: Frigidaire frosting up again
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 09:35:44 AM »
oops - in diagnosing the problem 6 years ago I replace the control board.  The only recent service is tying the heater element back up in place.

Offline manden

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 05:27:01 AM »
Need a model number!!!

Offline richin501

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 08:57:37 AM »
I decided (with help from the spouse) to get a new machine and forgo this machine's inevitable journey to a convalescent home.