Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag dryer model PYE2300AYW with s/n 11685838AR  (Read 486 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Maytag dryer model PYE2300AYW with s/n 11685838AR
« on: February 17, 2021, 10:37:05 AM »

I was given this electric dryer for possible repair .I did not have any info to go on so I pulled the from cover off and found several problem areas. The blower wheel was missing and the belt although it is in decent shape was not engaged with the motor pulley. The blower housing front cover was loose and the foam sleeve on the front of it was in bad shape. No power cord was included so I installed one and tried it . To my surprise it ran and produced heat OK in spite of some missing parts. I have checked into the price of a new  blower wheel which is very pricey and am going to install an older one from a different Maytag .  I am asking other techs if they have used a different p/n. on this model dryer. This blower wheel and the motor shaft  has a D ring type shaft with a snap ring to retain the wheel and turns the wheel CCW as compared to many which turn the wheel CW. FYI this unit uses a heater coil mounted up above and behind the drum .

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Maytag dryer model PYE2300AYW with s/n 11685838AR
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 02:10:49 PM »
The blower wheel was replaced but there is a small sheet metal  deflector inside the blower housing that interferes when the alternate  wheel I used rotates. To eliminate this problem  the deflector was left out of the interior. The drum support wheels are making a slight squealing noise  during operation and I will replace them with new if possible to find them at a reasonable cost. This design of dryer is not a very good one as compared to most Maytag units.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 06:54:22 PM »
I took the drum back out and rechecked the drum support wheels to see if they were binding or causing the squealing noise. They  were not and the idler was checked also. The problem is likely the motor bearings which the motor is a very pricey item to replace on this model, I will have to check on flea bay to see if there is one for sale there.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 12:19:34 PM »
The motor was removed and the bearings were lubed and the squeal disappeared. A different blower wheel was installed but air flow is slightly decreased.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • Caregiver, DIYer
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 12:07:20 PM »
My buddy Larry used to put whatever wheel he could get and if he had to remove the deflector he did so.  O0
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 02:37:15 PM »
The blower wheel  I used was not a perfect fit but it did move the air thru the dryer.  It was sold to a person who was willing to accept it with slightly less air flow.