Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Refrigerator WRT318FZDW02 freezer warm but refrigerator cold  (Read 392 times)

Offline repair2021

• VIP Member

Whirlpool top-freezer refrigerator WRT318FZDW02 is only 3 years old. The refrigerator seems to run almost constantly. At first, the refrigerator was too cold (freezing items). Door gaskets seem fine and I vacuumed the coils/area at bottom rear (behind cardboard plate) even though they weren't dirty. After several weeks, the refrigerator section is fine, but the freezer is not cold enough (top shelf is somewhat cold, bottom shelf is not cold at all) and there is frost on the back wall of the freezer. The evaporator (freezer) fan working. Any ideas? Thanks.

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
Re: Whirlpool Refrigerator WRT318FZDW02 freezer warm but refrigerator cold
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 10:37:45 AM »
The block of ice on the right top corner tells me your fridge is almost out of Refrigrant.When there is low in refrigerant, the freezer is not cold enough, so the frid[size=78%]ge would keep running, in the mean time, the fresh food compartment is too cold. You would find out the evaporator does not have much frost after you cleared all the ice and turned on the fridge again. The big block of ice on the top right corner was there becsuse the defrosting cycle finished  too soon for many days,due to the fact that the evaporator coil did not have much frost to defrost.And the block of ice is too far away for the heat to reach.You will need to find the leak and fix it. This is my opinion from many years of fridge repair experience. [/size]