Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Replacement dryer element looks different  (Read 183 times)

Offline ron3033

• VIP Member
Replacement dryer element looks different
« on: February 20, 2021, 10:04:34 AM »

Hi
Sears/Kenmore electric dryer    110 7308622WOZ

The heater element burned apart.  I ordered the new one, but it looks much different and cheaper quality, but apparently is correct.
The old element had 4 rows of coils, a metal plate and 4 rows of coils on the other side.  This new element has 6 rows of coils and no plate in between each set of 3 coils.  WP4391960.

Is this just a new style replacement?  It seems to take clothes longer to dry now.
I tried to rejoin the old element, but would get 2 or 3 uses and the wire would burn out.  So this new element was installed.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Replacement dryer element looks different
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 02:08:57 PM »
The heating element wire is usually made from Nichrome wire and gets oxidized after repeated  use and is almost impossible to join  broken wire by normal welding or soldering. Occasionally a clamp can be used to join the ends of the broken ends but it is usually not a very long lasting repair. A replacement coil is a better  approach. If the original has some marking on the support plate  as to the wattage rating a new one may look different in terms of the number of coils but it should be about the same rating. A typical heating coil is 5350 watts for a 240 volt electric dryer. Some coils are different in terms of the number of coils and support.

Offline ron3033

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 06:46:36 PM »
Thanks.  You are correct on mechanical joking of broken element.  Two or three uses and it burns again.  I lucked out 50 years ago fixing my Mom's Viking dryer by winding the broken elements together and sliding ceramic washer over the joined area.  The working dryer went to the dump at 62 years of use.
As for my Kenmore, that new element works, but seems to have longer dry times.  I just thought 2 lesser coils may mean cooler dry temps.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • Caregiver, DIYer
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 11:57:35 AM »
Fishing lures use nicrom bands can be used in a pinch to get some clothes dry but like they said the repair is only temp solution. look on your old element and your new one the watts should be on both if it fits it ships right   :)
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair