Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: washer from hell  (Read 948 times)

Offline adams1

• VIP Member
washer from hell
« on: February 19, 2021, 10:03:55 PM »

My problem is, im a stone mason. Also, i have an LG wt5170 washer. this thing....it started getting a bad mildew smell. also i noticed some dirty water being left behind after loads, so i ran the tubclean option with some tide cleaner. after about 50 balance error codes around the half-way point, i stopped it. i checked the hoses to and from the pump, they were clear. i cant figure out why there is always yuk-water left behind in my machine. also, i tried following the videos of pulling the tub out and scrubbing it by hand...the aggitator plate WONT come out. i tried prying, hot water, 2x4 and ratchet straps...help

Offline kvhome

• Technician
Re: washer from hell
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 04:17:40 PM »
Replace the pump. Sounds odd, but a worn pump will sometimes let water slide back past the impeller. Then do a couple of tub clean cycles. Any time there's leftover water that you can see in the tub, the filter should be cleaned first, then change the pump if that doesn't do it.

I've worked on a LOT of LG frontloaders, but not toploaders. Do they even have a filter? The pump info is good, however.

Have a good'un

Offline Dash

• Technician
Re: washer from hell
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 01:34:54 AM »
Sometimes pumps don't go completely bad but instead get whimpy as if they've lost their mojo. LG top load washers don't have a coin trap like front load washer have.  Also check for obstructions in the drain hose. Sometimes a sock will get stuck in the pump intake.

Removing washer impellers can be tough. Occasionally I have to sacrifice the impeller to get it off meaning I have to break it.  Last time I did it on an LG, I used a 4" grinder to cut most of the impeller off. I left the center part where the screw goes and used a 3-jaw puller to remove that center piece.