Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Kenmore Elite 795 Lg chassis fridge (795.79022.311. 2015 build)  (Read 370 times)

Offline Hallm

• VIP Member
Kenmore Elite 795 Lg chassis fridge (795.79022.311. 2015 build)
« on: February 09, 2021, 11:13:06 AM »

Hi Folks

I am in need of a second opinion.  I have been posting on another appliance forum and they have been very helpful.  I have made some headway in getting my fridge working thanks to their help however, replies have tapered off and my fridge is only partially working.

If it is ok here is the Link to the other forum to save reposting.  I thought that posting this would give a sense to the problem solving which has already occurred.  If this is not ok then please let me know and I will remove this.

This was my original post.

I have a 5-year-old Kenmore Elite 795 Lg chassis fridge (795.79022.311. 2015 build). We started to notice a decline in the cooling in the bottom freezer compartment. Usually, when we notice this it means that we need to clean the fur off of the coils at the back of the fridge which we do every couple of years. Usually, this cleaning does the trick and the fridge works as normal until the next episode.

This time we noticed that the freezer compartment was not keeping products frozen but it was cool. We emptied the fridge and left it running. We noticed that the refrigerator compartment cools well within normal limits but the freezer compartment is still not cool enough to keep products frozen.

We removed the panel where the control board is and the LED is flashing six times with a pause and then it repeats. Unplugging the fridge clears the LED error code but it returns are about 10 minutes of operation. From what I have been able to find out about the 6 blink code it may mean that there is a current overload = compressor too hot, bad capacitor, bad PCB, restriction, bad compressor.

Questions:

If the refrigerator compartment is cooling so well am I to understand that the compressor is not an issue and is functioning normally?
    The compressor is warm but not hot. It sounds like it cycles properly and the fan in this compartment functions normally.
    I did remove the panel inside the refrigerator compartment but thereís not much there except I am able to view the fan below in the freezer compartment and I was able to rotate it with my fingers and it moves freely and does not feel like itís wobbly.
    With the fridge door open and the door switch depressed, the fan does come up after a few seconds and we can feel some air flow movement coming from the top vent in the fridge. I am just not sure how forceful the air flow should be? I imagine this fan services both the fridge and freezer compartment combined or do I have this wrong?
    I have not removed the cover inside the freezer compartment yet to look at the coil but I could do that if anybody feels this might give us more information as to what the problem is.
    Could I be dealing with a sensor issue that is not relaying information correctly to the circuit board?
    My wife really likes the internal configuration of the fridge so we need to determine the fix or replace issue. The fridge is in such good condition it seems a shame to scrap it because of a high repair bill but not out of the question.
    Any suggestions?

Currently, my fridge works for the fresh food section with a tolerable temperature of 36 F  for keeping food safe.  My freezer however is currently only able to get down to 24 F and I think it should really be 0 F.

Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  We have been anticipating replacing this fridge but it's very difficult to shop on line given the Covid lockdown where you can visit in-store to see the fridges.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Quote Reply

Offline houptee

• Technician
Re: Kenmore Elite 795 Lg chassis fridge (795.79022.311. 2015 build)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 01:45:02 PM »
LG is notorious for failing compressors and they have updated compressor and software update needs to be performed when new compressor is installed.

6 blinks is compressor issue. The compressor is inefficient and not pumping enough because the valve fails inside compressor.

LG extended the warranty for 5 yrs parts and labor but Kenmore is not part of the LG warranty so you would need to call Sears to find out if any extension was made beyond 1 year for labor.

So the compressor has 10 yr warranty so part is free but you would have to pay labor to install it if not covered anymore by Sears.

If you decide to buy new look at the Hisense french door at Lowes it is also sold at Best Buy as Insignia but is same exact fridge. Last time I was at Lowes it was $1300 on sale.

Offline houptee

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 04:28:30 PM »
Check out these machines the LG/Kenmore  will be a continuous nightmare of spoiled food and a money pit.

Insignia house brand at Best Buy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-26-6-cu-ft-french-door-refrigerator-stainless-steel/6168626.p?skuId=6168626

Same machine at Lowes but sold as Hisense

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hisense-26-6-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Fingerprint-Resistant-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR/1003213836

Offline Hallm

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 08:03:35 PM »
Houptee

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my questions.  I live in Ontario Canada and the fridge was purchased from Sears just about 2 years before they left Canada.  I have been told that the compressor has a 10 yr warranty on it from LG but that would mean I would need to find a repair facility that works on LG equipment to have it repaired.  I guess the question is would the repair costs not be worth it was given the cost for a new fridge.  I am going to call a couple of repair shops in town and just get their take on saving this fridge.

I also appreciate you providing me two links for the fridges you recommended.  Unfortunately, neither of those two fridges you mentioned are available in Canada.

I did find these fridges which are of a design and size that my wife likes.  I guess the question is the durability of the new units and how to avoid buying another poorly designed fridge. I have to tell you I miss my 30 yr old Inglas fridge that was built like a tank and just kept on running.

https://www.canadianappliance.ca/product/Whirlpool_WRB329RFBM_Bottom_Mount_Refrigerators_Whirlpool_WRB329RFBM.html

https://www.thebrick.com/products/whirlpool-22-cu-ft-bottom-mount-refrigerator-wrb322dmbw

https://www.badboy.ca/kitchenaid-19-cu-ft-30-inch-width-full-depth-non-dispense-bottom-mount-refrigerator-krbl109ess.html

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/maytag-30-nch-w-19-cu-ft-bottom-freezer-refrigerator-in-stainless-steel-energy-star-/1001017898

I have not looked at GE because another workmate had issues with a 2 yr old GE fridge but I understand you can find the odd bad unit in any brand.

Thanks again

Mike

Offline houptee

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 11:11:17 PM »
Oh is LG supporting Kenmore in Canada directly?
LG will say they have to come out and diagnose it first and you have to pay for the visit even if you decide not to do any repairs.
The labor to replace compressor is probably going to be 1/2 the price you paid for the fridge new and the only part they give you free is the compressor. They might charge extra for the filter drier and if it has a leak in evaporator you have to pay for those parts and the refrigerant aka freon.
A lot of companies will not work on LG anymore in USA because they crap out after the job and customers get angry and bad mouth the repair company all over the web.

All the fridges you posted are all made by Whirlpool. They own Maytag, Kitchenaid, Amana,  Jenn-Air, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlpool_Corporation
They use Embraco compressors which seem to hold up better than LG and Samsung compressors.

Frigidaire and Electrolux are same company and they also use Embraco compressors.