Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Ringing & Grinding Noise On & Off During Wash Cycle  (Read 260 times)

Offline mattrm

• VIP Member
Ringing & Grinding Noise On & Off During Wash Cycle
« on: February 08, 2021, 12:29:40 PM »

I have a Whirlpool washing machine model # LLR7144DQ0, stock #: LLR7144D. It is making a ringing and grinding noise on and off during the wash cycle while the cycle goes through the area highlighted in yellow in the the attached image. The washing machine makes no unusual sounds at any other time expect during the area highlighted in yellow. It will make the noise for several seconds, stop, make the noise again, and repeat. This can be heard in the video at this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gcg2mqTAKCL5QZnmneP150HhRWUWpuRG/view?usp=sharing. The noise is made during these time intervals: 3 sec - 16 sec, 20 sec - 26 sec, 30 sec - 44 sec, 48 sec - 57 sec, 1 min 1 sec - 1 min 6 sec. This washing machine is older and came with the house I purchased. I've been using it for over 5 years and never had any issues until this started at the beginning of January 2021. The load size is extra large and the temperature is cold wash, cold rinse. As you can see in the video, although the noise is being made, the agitation mechanically still runs correctly and the clothes still come out clean. Any ideas on what is causing this noise and how I can fix it? Although the washing machine is still working fine despite the noise, I'm concerned it will break at some point as this is not normal.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Ringing & Grinding Noise On & Off During Wash Cycle
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 07:48:26 AM »
The highlighted areas on the picture are your fill and agitation mode cycles my 1st thought would be worn motor coupling that's the cheapest then I would pull down the transmission and check the clutch pads although this would only be in the spin cycles. Then I would probably go after the neutral drain kit ($20.) inside the transmission and replace that if your skilled enough not hard just a little sloppy with the gear oil. Do you have any oil at the bottom of the washer? Brown rusty stain on the clutch or bowl? Take a video of the bottom if you can and post it. When your washer goes from agitation to next cycle of drain - Does your tub spin immediately or does it drain 1st? (Very important question) PLEASE INFORM. It could be short on gear oil also - is the transmission Dry or wet with oil on the transmission itself?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 07:49:55 AM by Blaiser »