Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG Fridge or Freezer not cooling, compressor and valve changed  (Read 3907 times)

Offline houptee

• Technician
Re: LG Fridge or Freezer not cooling, compressor and valve changed
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2021, 09:05:48 PM »

That model has a history of problems the yoder tube rusts around the doors and gets pinhole leaks and so does the evaporator coil in the upper box the aluminum gets pinholes as well as the epoxy joint where they joined copper to aluminum tubing. Also heard the condenser coil which is steel painted black rusts out from sitting in the water tray by the compressor.

There is a nice french door at Lowes made by Hisense for 1300 and Best Buy sells same fridge under their house brand Insignia for around the same price.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hisense-26-6-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Fingerprint-Resistant-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR/1003213836

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-26-6-cu-ft-french-door-refrigerator-stainless-steel/6168626.p?skuId=6168626

Hello... I checked the issue you gave. I also own lowes. They suggested I get a new one. Can I really do something to repair it?

Hi, I do not understand your post do you have the same model fridge and did Lowes come to repair it?
What did they diagnose as the problem?
Thanks

Offline Redemption

• Technician
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2022, 01:04:13 PM »
Hi Houptee, I have followed with interest your thread from 2018 about your woes with the LFX31945ST. Also came across your more recent post about LG linear compressor failures. Similarly, my former postal carrier gave me the above referenced model (LMXS30776S/01) saying it wasn't cooling. Unit was in excellent shape cosmetically, but my investigation revealed both evaporators have pinhole leaks in them. Also looks like this unit had an updated compressor installed in the not too distant past as evidenced by service valves on compressor and filter dryer and evidence of soldering at discharge and suction ports on the compressor. So my question to you is, does these pinholes indicate an acidic condition caused by the original compressor failure in this unit and is it worth it to continue to pursue the repair? (I was hoping to repair it and resell it but not sure if I could get my money out of it or if it was too much of a risk to put out for public consumption) Were you ever able to cost effectively repair your LFX31945ST? I failed to mention the compressor that's in the unit is the FLB075LBNA. So is it possible that this compressor was installed under the class action lawsuit terms? This unit was manufactured June 2015. My postal carrier did seem to remember LG coming out and changing the compressor but was unsure as to its time frame. Thank you in advance for your response and look forward to seeing it. All the best to you and may the Lord bless you till you're better paid. Sincerely, Redemption

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2022, 07:12:23 AM »
Hi Redemption,

What did you end up doing with the refrigerator? Did you scrap it or fix it up and resell it?

Offline Redemption

• Technician
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2022, 09:16:35 AM »
Fixed it and sold it. Replaced both evaporators and tested for 2 weeks. Thanks for asking.   

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2022, 09:19:31 AM »
Was it a pretty difficult job to replace the evaporators? Do you do a lot of sealed system work?

Offline Redemption

• Technician
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2022, 10:18:17 AM »
The fresh food evaporator was not to difficult but freezer evaporator was a bit tedious due to its location and also removing those infamous "dimples" made the welding space quite cramped. (There was only perhaps 2 1/2" of capillary left after removing the dimples.) However, after calculating my torch angles I was able to get it installed with a minimal charing of the plastic. (I did use a lot of wet rags!) I think my situation was somewhat unlike Houptee's in that LG had already changed the compressor under a warranty agreement (it was only 4 years old) and had not had dye introduced. (I was also actually able to access the LG tech's service notes from the compressor change) I also was able to eliminate other leakage potentials by separating and pressure testing the various sections of the sealed system. The yoder loop (or "hot loop" as LG calls it) was intact. So my effort on this one were rather extensive but after evaluating all my info and testing I considered it to be worth the effort and risk. Not sure I would want to do it every day but in this case I think it paid off. But between you and me and the fence post, for a box that's long on eye candy, I am amazed at how cheaply these units are made. The evaporators just hang on the plastic liner. Nothing secures them. I suppose they are depending on the evap covers to hold them securely in place.
       So in answer to "do I do a lot of sealed system work", I wouldn't call my experience extensive but I have done a number of them, mostly compressors that have failed, and have usually had good success with them. This was my first time to work on an LG sealed system. I lived and worked in a Christian ministry that had a donation line and one of the favorite things people donate to these types of organizations are broken down appliances. So I essentially had my own laboratory. Somewhat of a unique situation I suppose. I'm retired now, but I continue to rebuild these devices on a limited basis and resell them to folks who need a bargain. I must admit the pandemic has curtailed some of my activity. Thanks for the inquiry and for this website. It has usually been a great boon in my work and has aided me often in my efforts. I even put a donation in the pot once when someone shared a schematic with me. So thanks again and as I have often said, "May the Lord bless you till you're better paid!" That might be a bit cliche but I genuinely mean it. Sincerely, Redemption     
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 10:24:26 AM by Redemption »

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2022, 10:23:51 PM »
You sound like a sealed system expert to me! Glad you find our site helpful and thanks for that donation!