Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: What's wrong with this Washer (watch video)  (Read 281 times)

Offline bam99

• VIP Member
What's wrong with this Washer (watch video)
« on: January 31, 2021, 04:10:01 PM »

Watch this short video, then please tell me
what's wrong with this Samsung washer. The serial number shows it was built in March 2011.
At the moment, it runs and washes clothes nicely, but makes a mild rubbing sound when it spins.
Is it worthwhile to have it repaired?
Other words of wisdom?

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
Huebsch coin-operated washer HWT921WN1102
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 01:53:25 AM »
I was asked to repair this washer,which needed a drive belt.After replacing the belt,I tested it for agitating.The 2 big metal washers under the brake were making scratching noise when agitating.I could not pin point why,so I dropped the pulley and the big washers down.I found groove was formed on the washer.I put some grease on the washers and re-installed the pulley.no more noise.But I don't understand why that noise and the groove.I wasted lots of time waiting for it to spin.Do you guys have an analytic procedure so I can advance it to spin without waiting for it to run thru the whole cycle?this machine is using computer to control the cycles,no timer to advance.Please help me find the short cut.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: What's wrong with this Washer (watch video)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 11:16:25 AM »
 I dont have as much knowledge about this washer as some others but my guess is that the spider  drum support and/or bearings are starting to fail. This is a pretty expensive repair as well as quite labor intensive. If the unit is more than 10 years old you should consider getting a new machine.

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
Re: What's wrong with this Washer (watch video)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 09:58:30 PM »
That’s just “VRT” technology. Theres steel bearings size of grapes floating in oil in big plastic rings that are attached to the basket that offset out of balance spins and smothers out vibrations. When basket spins the bearings move to counterbalance. You have a good sounding Samsung front loader!
If it sounds like rubbing during high speed spins, thats your baskets spider separating most likely and that washer is junk however that’s much more than a little noise, that sounds more like something trying to tear it’s way out of the machine to eat you.
https://youtu.be/bIrg6JEhG0k
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 10:02:06 PM by Pnwdad1981 »
🌲PNW Chris🌲