Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Amana Dryer ALE643RBW overheat to hot hold hand inside drum.  (Read 1126 times)

Offline mdniswan50

• VIP Member
Amana Dryer ALE643RBW overheat to hot hold hand inside drum.
« on: January 27, 2021, 01:40:46 PM »

My sister dryer was overheating and noisy.So i took home find the blower wheel was no good.So I replace it.Also look at High lint thermostat was black and the bottom black wire on the heat had bubble on the wire near were you plug it in.Now I replace all switches and timer still overheating.I test heater ok and test if short.Could  it be the fabric selector.Fluff good no heat.Delicate low ok.Prem press medium heat is about the heat it should be.Regular high to hot.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Amana Dryer ALE643RBW overheat to hot hold hand inside drum.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 03:23:13 PM »
You mentioned that the lower wheel was no good. If it was loose on the shaft it would not provide the airflow needed to dry the clothes and the clothes would get very hot. Also if there is a restriction on the outlet tube/vent it would get very hot but it would also blow the thermal fuse, The regulating thermal stat  might not be the correct one for your dryer if it is not shutting off the heater . You should check the p/n to make sure you have the correct one for your dryer.

Offline mdniswan50

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 08:37:56 AM »
Inside dryer has been cleaned out and dryer  is not hook up to the vent for testing.Sending pictures of switches.I thought for sure blower wheel replacement would have taking care of.Is it possible the fabric selector is not working properly?

Offline mdniswan50

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 09:42:10 AM »
Not the fabric selector I had one from Maytag same one.Now did the  defective blower wheel cause the high limit thermostat to go from red to black and cause bottom black wire on heater plastic to bubble.Now when put the jump wire which was black back on.The end was bent so had another  jump wire from Amman heater but the color was orange.Should I worry about this. Its working is  it normal to not be able to put hand on inside of drum.Because the drum to hot.

Offline mdniswan50

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 08:49:52 AM »
Also could the switch on the motor.But if that was  the case low heat would be overheating.

Offline mdniswan50

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 02:02:40 PM »
I did 2 loads today.Everything went OK.You still lay hand flat inside drum and  its to hot.The only thing could be. I used a orange jump wire from another Amman heater.My was black the end was bent.On the heater the bottom black wire was heat bubble the plastic part of wire.

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 10:02:32 AM »
> You still lay hand flat inside drum and  its to hot.

Your hand isn't a good test.

The normal temperature for "high" when operating perfectly is around 145F which is enough to cause skin damage and burns.

There may be nothing wrong with your dryer, but you really can't tell without measuring the air temperature with a thermometer. You can put a normal kitchen thermometer into the exhaust airflow and measure it if you want.

Offline mdniswan50

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 11:52:10 AM »
The  vent running out the back showing temperature gauge was 170 I unplugged.Is it possible that heater is faulty even if ohms out okay.I also test short to ground on heater.I tested the cycling thermostat ohm.Tested all other switches shows okay.The dryer is overheating on all fabric selector.Motor new and timer and all switches.The bottom black wire on heater was bubble but terminal and wire looks okay.The heater jump wire from thermal switch to high-lint  was bent.I had another  Amman heater the jump was orange the  old one was black same gauge wire.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 12:39:12 PM »
Typical outlet tube temperature is about 150 to 160 degrees max

Offline mdniswan50

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 01:05:40 PM »
This one was over 170.So unplug before some goes wrong.Possible heater is faulty stuck.Overheating all setting.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 08:00:08 AM »
Check your timer for stuck or burn't contacts or contacts that aren't making up - The Timer tells everything to do what it's suppose to do. Let us know what you find!

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 08:10:31 AM »
If the blower wheel is not pushing the air thru the drum for whatever reason the dryer will run hot but the regulating T-stat should cut off the heater to reduce heat. Is the blower wheel possibly loose on the shaft or is there some restriction to air flow in the path from the drum all the way out ?

Offline mdniswan50

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 01:27:01 PM »
The  dryer has new blower wheel.I ordered new timer.On appliance parts pro show my motor as part number 2200376.On my old motor shows part number.2200219

Offline mdniswan50

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 12:12:14 PM »
Only 3 things left.The heater that test okay and for a short also.The  bubble  wire on the  bottom of  the heater.I used a jump wire from another Amman dryer heater, my wire was black and one from other heater was orange.Both wires are same gauge.After new timer and motor, switches.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 03:16:30 PM »
I have seen the power supply wires on this type of dryer over heat over a long period of time with the resultant bubble of the insulation of the wire close to the heater element. The wire size is normally #10 gauge. . The use of a wire of smaller size for instance a #12 will cause the wire to get hotter no matter what color of the insulation material.

Offline mdniswan50

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 11:58:53 AM »
Send pictures.The black and orange same gauge.

Offline desi007

• Technician

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • Caregiver, DIYer
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2021, 12:01:32 PM »
Did you replace the control thermostat mounted on the blower housing? Thats what controls the heat.

May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair

Offline mdniswan50

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2021, 02:28:37 PM »
Yes I did.