Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Garage fridge not getting cold  (Read 388 times)

Offline PapaHatch

• VIP Member
Garage fridge not getting cold
« on: January 26, 2021, 06:38:58 PM »

Model 253.6880901B Sears   It has been running fine. I installed an ice maker in it a few months ago. We have the same fridge at my daughters across the street. I get ice out of them both about every other day. I noticed ours was getting slower and slower to make ice. Compressor is running. Cooling fan under the fridge is on as well as the one inside. I have turned the theromstat up and it makes it come on but not getting cold enough. 29 deg in the freezer. Thanks for your help. Ken

Offline manden

• Technician
Re: Garage fridge not getting cold
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 06:05:46 AM »
Are the compressor and fans on all the time except when the unit goes through a defrost cycle.

If yes then remove the cover in the freezer and check the evaporator coil.
If it is frozen over with frost/ice to the point where air cannot be pulled through it you have a defrost problem.
If there is just frost in one area usually where the freon enters the coils then it is a sealed system problem.

Note that sealed system problems usually are not worth fixing as you need a pro and it will not be cheap.

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 03:20:51 PM »
How cold is your garage? On freezer top models the thermostat is typically in the fridge and if it's an unheated garage the fridge won't run long enough for the freezer to get cold.

Offline PapaHatch

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 06:50:34 PM »
garage is 58 degrees. When thermostat is off no fans are on. When it is on both fans run. Fridge is 8 years old and has always been in the same spot.

Offline BryanS

• Technician
  • Refrigeration specialty
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 08:07:02 PM »
If it is the mechanical control type, then it may need the heater added 530391830.

Offline PapaHatch

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 10:04:43 AM »
I took the cover off inside and coils had frost on them not a big ball of ice. I unplugged it and let it defrost then started over. It is still only holding around 25 degrees.