Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Who created this GE Service Bulletin?  (Read 295 times)

Offline makeitrightGE

• VIP Member
Who created this GE Service Bulletin?
« on: January 25, 2021, 01:50:38 PM »

I spoke to several people from GE who state it is not from them.  I have a GE GTW680BSJ3WS, and it's about five years old now and it of course shares all the problems listed in the bulletin.

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
Re: Who created this GE Service Bulletin?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 05:57:36 PM »
It was from GE. The devices to update the firmware are no longer available. They were originally sent to servicers with the understanding that it would be returned when the job was complete. I think they just lost track of them. I know one of the tech managers at Sears had 3 or 4 just laying in a desk drawer. No devices to flash the new firmware and GE unwilling to have more made is probably why they scrapped the program.

Offline makeitrightGE

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 09:02:20 PM »
It was from GE. The devices to update the firmware are no longer available. They were originally sent to servicers with the understanding that it would be returned when the job was complete. I think they just lost track of them. I know one of the tech managers at Sears had 3 or 4 just laying in a desk drawer. No devices to flash the new firmware and GE unwilling to have more made is probably why they scrapped the program.

I was able to order the update service module through GE. It should arrive within a few days, and I can't wait to see if this corrects the problem. They just seem to deny the service bulletin being published from them.

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 09:55:47 PM »
The firmware update is still available.

The old part number changes to WH98R23015001, which replaces WH98R1730801,  WH98R1967001.