Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Kenmore Spider shaft (new) not goes into outer tub bearings (new brgs)  (Read 529 times)

Offline Mayolito

• Technician

Hi: I have a Kenmore F/L washer 796.40272900 , I replace the Bearings, and I bought a new spider. When I was trying to insert the tub/spider into the outer tub, the shaft didn't go into the bearings.  I took out the tub with the spider out. I tried to insert the old bearings into the new shaft, but none went into the shaft, so I tried to insert the old bearings into the old shaft, and these went-in both perfectly. Then I inserted the old spider/shaft in the outer tub, and the spider went in. I wonder if the new spider/shaft has the wrong dimensions, or should I buy bearings and spider in a set, or am I doing something wrong. I bought bearings in a different place than the spider, none of OEM. Does somebody has experienced a problem like this before? Please help with any idea.   
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 10:31:59 PM by Mayolito »

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Kenmore Spider shaft (new) not goes into outer tub bearings (new brgs)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 05:56:31 AM »
Mayolito double check you have the EXACT Same Bearing #'s make sure you didn't transpose the Bearings Numbers. Can you post a picture of your old bearings (Ex.6205-2RS) make sure you didn't order the wrong bearings or maybe they shipped the wrong bearings and transposed the bearing Numbers (ex. 6305-2RS). You can also buy a Caliper to measure the exact diameter of both the inside diameter of the bearings and outside diameter of the NEW Spider Shaft for under $15. bucks) really comes in handy!

So you have two scenario's here you either have the wrong bearing interior dimensions or the shaft is wrong diameter. Does the Spider Shaft look exactly as the Original?? Typically the Only company who sells replacement Spider Shafts is LG and SAMSUNG!! I have never found a company out there that sells the Domestic Spider Shaft for any other manufacturer (they make you buy the Whole Tub Assembly)!!

If you buy a caliper (highly Recommend it) and measure the outside Diameter of the Shaft you can actually go on any Bearing Website and buy the exact bearing to match that outside Spider Shaft Diameter you'll also want to measure your Old Bearing (OUTSIDE) Diameter and get the correct bearings. There should be 2 bearings an inside (front) bearing and outside (rear) bearing.

You just want to make sure they sent you the correct Spider and Bearings - Double Triple Check the numbers are printed on the Rubber Seal of the Bearings (could be 6005-2RS that look like 6006-2RS). Wipe Rubber Seal with Rag and get a magnifying glass - Double Check!!

Let us know what you find.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 06:28:41 PM »
Not sure how much of a difference there is of the bearings you are working with but if it is a very small amount  there is a trick you could try to allow them to slide on to the shaft. Warm the bearing up with a heat lamp for 20 or 30 minutes. Use insulating gloves to handle it and see if the expansion is enough to allow the  bearing to fit on to the shaft. If there was a way to freeze the shaft that would also help but you are not likely to be able to fit the shaft assembly in to a deep freeze. If there is a significant difference in the diamters my suggestion would not work.

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 12:05:28 AM »
LG parts are hard to get correct. Sounds like a wrong spider. What about new bearings on old shaft? If that works then definitely wrong spider. DONT use old spider though as even if itís not cracked it canít chew up new seal. You could see if they stamped the old spider with the part number usually starts as MDS but most times it wonít run or sub but you might be lucky.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 12:07:50 AM by Pnwdad1981 »
🌲PNW Chris🌲