Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool WRX988SIBE00 ice build up only on 1/4 of freezer evp....?  (Read 363 times)

Offline Tsolis

• VIP Member

Hello everyone!

I have a customer who has an WP WRX988SIBE00 bottom mount freezer who has had ice build up on the freezer evp only about a 1/4 of the top had ice build up which was hitting the evp fan.

Initial visit found that the main pcb had damage on the back of the pcb - So i ended up replacing main pcb W10807590  along with evp freezer harness that has fan, sensor, bi-meal ect.. W11032800

(orig pic from visit is attached)

about 4-5 weeks later I go back and it has the same ice build up pattern (only top) , hitting the fan assembly but not a thick..
kind of seems like its not going through defrost long enough..

I have checked to make sure nothing was leaking come down from the fresh food section through damper area that leads to the freezer, bi-metal and temp sensor checks out to specs.. no damage on pcb..

Has anyone ran into something similar to this?

Any insight would be greatly appreciate thank you!

Offline Dash

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool WRX988SIBE00 ice build up only on 1/4 of freezer evp....?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 06:24:38 PM »
When compressor has been running for at least 15 minutes, entire evaporator should have a light coating of frost on it.  If it doesn't then you're low on freon.

Offline Tsolis

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 07:26:55 AM »
This pic was after I shut the unit off and steamed the evp cover to access evaporator. Prior to that temps taken were at  Fzr -1 / FF 38 on second visit temps are still in proper temp range..

When unit is plugged in evp does show good frost pattern.

:-\

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 12:59:55 AM »
How good is a good pattern though? All the way down and does it maintain or does it melt away, the latter is a low charge which is what it resembles like dash said with the ice across the top. Or the fan running during defrost... Id let it run for 20-30 without cover and door open. Should have a good hard frost cover to the bottom and you should be able to wet a finger and stick to the lower rungs.
🌲PNW Chris🌲