Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Diagnose and Repair Ice Maker Whirlpool Gold Model GX5FHTXVY08  (Read 482 times)

Offline wpollock

• VIP Member
Diagnose and Repair Ice Maker Whirlpool Gold Model GX5FHTXVY08
« on: January 04, 2021, 02:43:20 PM »

I have previously posted asking for input regarding issues with both the interior water dispenser and ice maker not working on this unit. At that time and oddly enough, both did start working without any intervention other than removing the water filter and installing the bypass plug for a couple of days. Recently, both stopped working again so I have done the following so far:
Regarding the water dispenser, I have verified that I have no water supply obstruction from the wall valve to the dispenser and I am able to dispense water with no issues. at the bottom rear of the refrigerator I tested continuity on both water valve coils (yellow and red) with readings of 268 for the yellow coil and 192 for the red coil with my digital multimeter set at 2000 ohms. I next tried testing the ice maker for a harvest cycle by using a jumper between the T and H contact points but it failed to cycle. I next tested the water inlet by jumping between the L and V contacts but no water entered the icemaker. I also tested and verified that there is correct voltage ( I read 118 volts ac using my digital multimeter). Given this is it reasonable to assume the ice maker itself is the issue and not the coil on the inlet water valve that controls water supply to the ice maker?

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
Re: Diagnose and Repair Ice Maker Whirlpool Gold Model GX5FHTXVY08
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 06:08:23 AM »
I've seen this happened where simply unpluging the unit for 30 seconds would allow the icemaker to go thru its cycle