Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Magic Chef gas dryer model CYG4000AWW  (Read 222 times)

Online Thorning

• Technician
Magic Chef gas dryer model CYG4000AWW
« on: December 27, 2020, 09:53:05 AM »

I was given the above dryer for possible repair as it would not rotate or turn on the burner. I took it apart and found  the LH drum roller at the back end was almost seized on the shaft .The shaft was cleaned up and the roller bore cleaned up , lubed, and both rollers reinstalled. Installing the belt  is very  very difficult and I am asking any other techs how they are able to reach in especially on the LH side to get the idler arm pushed up enough to get the belt installed. After the unit was put back together the only way the drum would turn was to give it a push while the door switch was taped to be engaged. The burner would heat OK.  This unit will probably be scrapped as the motor would need to be replaced which is too expensive.

Offline Dash

• Technician
Re: Magic Chef gas dryer model CYG4000AWW
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 12:53:07 AM »
Installing the belt on a Magic Chef dryer is tricky and there's no secret other than you can't have forearms like Popeye.  You just have to get your arms skinny, close your eyes, and reach in with both arms.  You know the routine -- push back the tensioner with one hand, thread the belt around the tensioner pulley and fish the belt around the motor pulley.

Before you installed the belt, did the drum turn easily?  Are the front drum slides in good shape?  Did you reinstall the rear drum rollers in the proper orientation?

Online Thorning

• Technician
Re: Magic Chef gas dryer model CYG4000AWW
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 06:08:58 AM »
In regard to the questions about the rollers,etc, yes I did get them in the proper way but the motor stilll growls and will not turn the drum even when empty.