Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Bosch WFVC6450UC/25 drum wobble and bang  (Read 422 times)

Offline scootley

• VIP Member
Bosch WFVC6450UC/25 drum wobble and bang
« on: December 21, 2020, 11:08:59 PM »

Hi
I've got a Bosch WFVC6450UC/25 washer where the drum seems to have abruptly started wobbling when spinning and making a banging noise.

You can see a video of it here: https://streamable.com/d1j0dm

Any ideas on the cause? It moves off-center by maybe about an inch once per revolution always at the same point in the revolution.

Does anyone have a copy of the service manual for this model by the way?

Thanks

Offline Dash

• Technician
Re: Bosch WFVC6450UC/25 drum wobble and bang
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 10:08:32 AM »
You have either bad bearings or a broken spider.  Either problem is a similar repair -- completely remove the innards and split open the outer tub halves.  Then remove the wash basket to reveal the spider.  If spider is not cracked or broken, check the front bearing.

I've performed hundreds of bearing jobs and spider replacements and either problem can have the same symptoms.

Offline scootley

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 05:53:04 PM »
You have either bad bearings or a broken spider.  Either problem is a similar repair -- completely remove the innards and split open the outer tub halves.  Then remove the wash basket to reveal the spider.  If spider is not cracked or broken, check the front bearing.

Thanks so much for the advice! 
I think for this model:
1) I'm sure there is a rear bearing but it seem to be combined with the rear tub part, which is no longer made
2) I don't see a front bearing or a spider listed as a part so maybe this unit doesn't have them.  The parts site is here: https://www.bosch-home.com/us/supportdetail/product/WFVC6450UC/25#/Tabs=section-spareparts/

So maybe my only option is a new washer (unless I am lucky and can find these parts somewhere or I could somehow fix the parts I have which seems unlikely)

See diagram:

Offline scootley

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 08:06:59 PM »
There is someone in this video (claims to be a similar model washer) showing a broken spider. 
I would guess that if my model has a spider, it's just (like the bearing) not sold or listed as a separate part:
https://youtu.be/QMB8vvhsHP4

Also I think I understand what you mean by "front bearing"... both the "front" (inner) and "rear" (outer) bearings are at the REAR of the machine and are an inch or two apart, right? 
I guess my same thought as before applies which is that I don't think they are listed as individual parts.  Maybe I would have to look for some aftermarket versions.

Offline Dash

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 11:21:39 PM »
Yes, the front and rear bearings are about 2 inches apart.  The front bearing always goes bad first because it's next to the main seal. Sometimes the front bearing inner race completely disintegrates result being the wash basket flops around. Though washer bearings often aren't available as a separate part from the Boschs, Whirlpools, Frigidaires, etc. of the world, they are easily available at most all local bearing suppliers for around $15 each. Bring the old bearings and they'll match them up.  If your bearings are bad, be sure that you can obtain the main seal.

Front load washer bearing are a mild press fit into the rear tub half.  They can be knocked out using a metal rod and hammer.  New bearings can be easily tapped back into place with a hammer.