Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Frigidare Line Freezing Startup Noise  (Read 394 times)

Offline Sassypatches

• VIP Member
Frigidare Line Freezing Startup Noise
« on: December 06, 2020, 06:55:49 PM »

Bought a used fridge. Runs and gets cold, but line from the compressor is freezing (pic) and the compressor makes a loud noise upon startup for a few seconds after being off a bit. Fans are clean and running well. Start relay and timer are cheap so I don't mind trying to replace those. Anywho thoughts?

I'm just a gal with no experience and like to learn to fix the things.

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
Re: Frigidare Line Freezing Startup Noise
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 01:15:39 AM »
Hello Sassy,I am surprised nobody gave any suggestions.From the picture,I see there is a piercing valve on the left of the compressor.That valve is used to charge up the refrigerant or to check the pressure in the sealed systrem.Usually that means there is a refrigerant leak in your fridge.When there is too much refrigerant in the system,the suction line will have frost.The repairman was thinking of putting more refrigerant in to make the fridge work longer before needing another charge.The starting noise may mean not enough lubrication oil in the compressor.For now,just observe how long your fridge will work properly.To fix the leak or putting more oil in can be expensive.

Offline e.p.

• Technician
Re: Frigidare Line Freezing Startup Noise
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 02:17:19 PM »
Definitely an over charge of freon.