Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Kenmore Washer by LG 796.41162.160 rotor rubbing on stator  (Read 419 times)

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
Kenmore Washer by LG 796.41162.160 rotor rubbing on stator
« on: December 06, 2020, 10:01:02 AM »

This is direct drive motor with rotor on splined shaft, the rotor is wobbly on the shaft, so the rotor is rubbing on the stator and make a loud noise every evolution. I am not sure I should replace the rotor, or the shaft. Does this happen often?

Offline shillion

• Technician
Re: Kenmore Washer by LG 796.41162.160 rotor rubbing on stator
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 05:18:08 PM »
this is a front loading kenmore washer made by lg,direct drive motor.The rotor is wobbling on the spine of the shaft.So it is rubbing on the stator and making terrible noise on every evolution.This is the first time I see happening.Have you guys seen this before?The spline on the shaft and on the rotor supposed to be very hard metal,so they are not wearing out.I will have to determine whether the shaft or the rotor or both need to be replaced.please give me some hints.

Offline Dash

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 07:24:00 AM »
Is the rotor tight on the shaft?  FYI, I've replaced a number of LG front-load washer rotors due to the spline being sloppy or even completely stripped out.  The rotor spline is NOT hard metal FYI.

Are the bearings in good repair?  The wash basket should rotate with no discernible rattling, vertical, or in-and-out motion.  Rotating by hand should be nearly silent.

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 08:32:40 PM »
Hello Dash,thank you for your quick reply.the bearings are good,no noise came from them with the rotor removed and turning the drum by hand.noise came from rotor rubbing on the stator every turn,so it was very noisy at spinning time.I can see there is scratch mark on the permanent magnet pole face.I am hoping if I replace the rotor to eliminate the play on the spline,no more rubbing on the pole faces.I an surprised that the spine is not hard metal.