Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Amana sxd22s2w refrigerator freezer not working - help pls  (Read 126 times)

Offline three_jeeps

• VIP Member
Amana sxd22s2w refrigerator freezer not working - help pls
« on: December 04, 2020, 11:27:28 AM »

Troubleshooting this has become a headscratcher.

Freezer temp is 28-30 degrees F. 

Compressor checks: Measured pins: S-N = 5.4 ohms, R-N = 3.2 ohms, S-R 8.7 ohms. (seems OK)
On start up, current is 12A for ~ 3-5 sec then drops to 1.1A.  Seems to hold and run for a long time.
Sometimes it drops to 0.5A.

Overload is not blown, PTC relay measures 5.3 ohms, during startup I hear click so assume relay is working.

Startup capacitor spec’ed @ 15 uf, measures 15.3 uf – so it is OK.

Condenser fan behaves strangely.  With compressor running, sometime fan runs, sometimes not.  When it runs, speed varies from slow to very fast. Wiring diagram shows fan basically in parallel with compressor - so varying fan speed makes no sense - sometimes have to manually rotate fan to start it.  (fan motor is probably dead but I think there are other issues)
Fridge has ‘adaptive defrost module’ that has relay on it whose contact switch is in the neutral leg of the compressor.  Cold control is in neutral line that goes through relay contact to neural leg of compressor.
Cold control is on maximum cold temp.  (Varying control does not affect freezer temp). 
Freezer fan runs continuously.
So why won’t freezer get cold????
Could be cold control but how to check?
Any help/guidance greatly appreciated.
J

Offline Dash

• Technician
Re: Amana sxd22s2w refrigerator freezer not working - help pls
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 03:07:00 PM »
Condenser fan must always run when compressor is running.  If it doesn't condenser won't be able to shed heat, vertical strip between doors will overheat, sealed system may develop a freon leak, and freezer won't be cold enough.

If you solve your condenser fan problem, remove the back panel inside the freezer compartment.  The evaporator coils should have a thin even coating of frost on them when compressor is running.  If for instance only half to tubes have ice on them, then you have either a freon leak or a bad compressor.

Offline three_jeeps

• VIP Member
Re: Amana sxd22s2w refrigerator freezer not working - help pls
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 03:22:56 PM »
Thank you for the reply.
After checking everything that I could (controls, temp sensor, etc.) and watching the fan and compressor motor current, I deduced that something int he compressor has failed causing very high inrush current at startup.  I figured that I got my  money out of its 24 years of service so I got a new one.
Unfortunately, because of covid, I could not get my 1st, 2nd or 3rd choices.  I ended up getting a whirlpool 25 cu ft side by side and well, somewhat disappointed in the attention to detail..e.g. the ice maker is loud, the water from the in door dispenser is not very cold despite having about 10 turns of coiled water line in the fridge part of the unit.  But it is functional and beats having my food on the back porch subjected to the high (48 degrees F) and low temps (20 degrees F) of the winter.
Thanks for all the ppl that provided some guidance.
J