Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Ice Maker Issue  (Read 366 times)

Offline varnco

• VIP Member
Ice Maker Issue
« on: November 30, 2020, 11:25:49 AM »

Hello. I have an older, small ice maker (commercial), it's a scotsman CSE60A that seems to be running, but just isn't cooling at all.

I've just installed a Supco 3-1, as the water pump wasn't running, and everything appears to start, but the compressor seems to try and start every 1 minute or so. I really can't tell if it's running or not, but the maximum the outer casing of the compressor (where fan isn't hitting) gets to about 109 - 112*F

I measured that 3 tabs on the compressor, and they seem to ohm out correctly, where the sum of 2 measurements equals approximately the measurement of 1.
I've also measured from the prongs to the copper piping, it it's not shorted, I think this means the compressor is likely goood?

I'm thinking perhaps the thermistor or thermostat is bad?

Thoughts?

TIA.

Offline Dash

• Technician
Re: Ice Maker Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 02:49:44 PM »
Did you try running the compressor from a 120V outlet directly; bypassing everything in your ice machine?  If compressor still doesn't run and you installed a Supco 3-in-1 hard start kit correctly, then your compressor is bad.  Most bad compressors pass the Ohms measuring test FYI.  Obviously something else internally is bad if it won't start.  For example, internal bearings can cease but windings pass the Ohms test thus compressor is bad.