Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Speed Queen electric dryer drum for Model NE5513W  (Read 226 times)

Online Thorning

• Technician
Speed Queen electric dryer drum for Model NE5513W
« on: November 03, 2020, 03:35:57 PM »

I am currently involved with repair of this older unit. It is probably at least 25 years old and runs well considering its age.  The drum has a slight bump when it rotates  which I am sure is due to a weld joint where the drum is rolled and welded during the mfg process.  I have asked the factory for a spec on the overall variation  they allow on the drum diameter. This is commonly referred to as TIR (total indicator reading). They did not have a number and I dont know if it would mean much since I dont have a setup to measure it anyhow. My question to other techs is when you get a drum that has  slight bump during rotation what if anyting do you do about it ?  This is not the 1st time I have seen it in dryer drums that are made of thin sheet metal.

Online Thorning

• Technician
Re: Speed Queen electric dryer drum for Model NE5513W
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 03:00:53 PM »
Today I worked on a couple of Maytag dryers of an older vintage with model numbers LDG512 and LDG7400AAL. The drums were checked  when i removed them and it looks like these drums were made  of  slightly heavier metal than the previous model  I mentioned. With this material it appears that the factory was able to make the drum more concentric and the weld seam less likely to have a bump at the weld seam. The newer units are more likely to have the bump problem as compared to the older designs. 

Online Thorning

• Technician
Re: Speed Queen electric dryer drum for Model NE5513W
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 03:29:51 PM »
As of this date, the factory does not have a spec they can provide for the T.I.R. (total indicator reading) and suggest that if a drum has a significant bump to it when passing over the support rollers it should be replaced.