Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG Washer bleach tray issue  (Read 194 times)

Offline rolinger

• VIP Member
LG Washer bleach tray issue
« on: October 30, 2020, 08:57:40 AM »

We don't use bleach that often and the few times we have sometimes bleach spills, or splashes, around the edges.  Now, 8 years after we bought it, we have a growing rust ring around bleach tray.  Its solid 1 inch thick ring, and growing.  I think the bleach ate at the paint...and now just the regular wash water and moisture are contributing to the spreading rust ring.  Little bits of rust are now getting into the wash or in the filters. Its been a solid machine - and I probably should have tried to fix this years ago - would hate to have to go get a new washer because of some rust - but if we can stop the spread then we are going to have rust in our our wash and potentially ruining clothes (esp whites)

I think its a terrible design to put a bleach tray in the middle of a metal/aluminum surface. 

1.  Is there a safe way to stop this rust from spreading any further and covering/repainting the surface?
2.  If we have to get another washer, does anyone know if this issue was addressed in these LG/Samsung washers (they are virtually the same)?  I def would not want to go buy the same flawed design again.

Offline rolinger

• VIP Member
Re: LG Washer bleach tray issue
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 10:40:32 AM »
Tried to edit original post but can't see how to do that.  Wanted to attach these two photos:

Offline Dash

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 09:32:45 PM »
All you can do is clean it and use Rustoleum rust reformer.  Unfortunately there was a bunch of LG and Kenmore (built by LG) top load washers with the worst paint I've ever seen on a washer in my 41 years as a serviceman.  I've had some LG top load washers where 60% of the top was rust.

FYI, Samsung is a different company and those washers have their own issues.

Online Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 09:47:06 AM »
It will be a lot of work but probably the only way to clean up the rust problem is to remove the bleach dispenser and use a rotary wire brush on both the top and the bottom surfaces to clean off the rust. After it is thoroughly cleaned up use a Rust Olem rust preventive product  in several coats over a period of a few hours (minimum time between coats) and  dry using a heat gun BE CAREFUL.  Reinstall the bleach dispenser. It will hopefully work for a few years.