Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Oven Door Locked - No Power  (Read 185 times)

Offline Nothing Finer

• VIP Member
Oven Door Locked - No Power
« on: October 29, 2020, 07:36:35 AM »

My brother has a KitchenAid single wall oven, model KEBS109. The display is dead (no clock or any other lights) and the oven door is locked.

We suspect the thermal fuse needs to be replaced, but we first need to get the door open to be able to remove the screws securing the oven to the cabinet before we can remove the control panel.

We have not been able to identify any way to unlock the door with no power. And yes, we confirmed the circuit breaker is on and had not been tripped.

I have tried several different internet searches but have not found a solution. Please let me know how to overcome this problem. Thanks.

Offline Dash

• Technician
Re: Oven Door Locked - No Power
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 11:11:13 PM »
Can you remove the control panel?  You may get access to the thermal fuse if you can remove the control panel.

Offline Nothing Finer

• VIP Member
Re: Oven Door Locked - No Power
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 10:56:56 AM »
As I wrote, to remove the control panel the oven needs to be pulled out of the cabinet by just a few inches.  To pull out the oven, the oven door needs to be opened to get to the screws holding the oven in place in the cabinet. 

But I'm happy to report that my brother was able to get the oven door open using a coat hanger wire tool I designed by going to Lowe's and looking carefully at the locking mechanism on a KitchenAid oven on display.  I sent pictures of the tool to my brother and talked him through how to use it.  SUCCESS!!!