Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Samsung refrigerator - freezer doesn't work, refrigerator compartment does  (Read 179 times)

Offline nugatory

• VIP Member

Samsung RF265AA refrigerator.  The freezer won't cool below about 40-50 F, but the refrigerator compartment holds the 38 F setpoint just fine.

- No diagnostic codes show when I do the PowerFreeze/PowerCool thing, just a solid 88-88
- Cleaned the condensor coils
- Removed back panel of freezer, verified no icing up of the evaporator coils
- Verified that the freezer evaporator fan is spinning
- And of course the first thing I did was cut off the power, wait five minutes, restore power to reset the system

OK, now what?  The refrigerator compartment working fine tells me that the closed system is working and has adequate coolant, so what do I try next?

Offline Dash

• Technician
After the refrigerator has been running for at least 10 minutes, remove the back panel from the freezer compartment and look at the evaporator (aluminum cooling tubes).  There should be a light and even coating of frost on the evaporator while the refrig is running.  If there's only 5" of frost at the top, then you have a freon leak.

Offline nugatory

• VIP Member
After the refrigerator has been running for at least 10 minutes, remove the back panel from the freezer compartment and look at the evaporator (aluminum cooling tubes).  There should be a light and even coating of frost on the evaporator while the refrig is running.  If there's only 5" of frost at the top, then you have a freon leak.
Thank you, I appreciate the reply.  There's no frost anywhere on the freezer evap coils, but they're cold to the touch and condensing water at the top.  So I'm thinking that I've lost enough coolant that I can't even frost the coils in the freezer?

Offline Dash

• Technician
Re: Samsung refrigerator - freezer doesn't work, refrigerator compartment does
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 10:23:35 PM »
Yep, you're low on refrigerant.  I generally have good results adding refrigerant to Samsung refrigerators so if you unit is in good condition, it may be worth it to repair.