Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag DW will not start  (Read 133 times)

Offline jhecklman

• VIP Member
Maytag DW will not start
« on: October 24, 2020, 04:09:27 PM »

Hi All,

Looking to get some advise on troubleshooting my <2 year old Maytag Dishwasher.  It is a model MDB4949SHZ0.  Been working fine, just stopped running the wash cycle.  When started - it will fill up, sit there for a while and eventually drain, never starting the wash cycle.

I took apart the unit today, cleaned out the inner wash tub components, especially 1 part which had a lot of fat built up.  It was an inner part under the course strainer and covered with some yuck.  Washed it clean and all the other parts.

Tried to run the diag mode, got that to start, but it ran through the cycle and didn't stop at any flashing lights.  Looked like it went through the diag cycle correctly, but nothing errored with any codes that I could see. What should that process work like?

Any suggestions would be great, thank you everyone on this forum.

Offline Dash

• Technician
Re: Maytag DW will not start
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 06:02:36 AM »
You'll want to check the main wash motor.  Dishwasher will need to be removed to check it.

Once dishwasher is filled with water, check to see that main wash motor is getting 120V.  If motor is getting 120V, motor may be bad or computer is sending "ghost" power.  Next disconnect wire connector to motor and use a test wire to connected to motor to see if it runs.  If motor runs, computer is bad.  If motor doesn't run, computer is bad.

Offline jhecklman

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag DW will not start
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 02:58:40 PM »
Thank you Dash for your advice.  I did as you suggested and tested the output of the 120v motor power, just a few volts (7).  Went a little gung ho and took the motor out with the pump assembly, disconnected the motor and did test it individually with some clip leads to double check.  Worked.  I then focused on the computer control assembly and took the door apart.  Found something interesting, the blue leads which go to the main motor, had heated up significantly and melted into the protective plastic around the stainless steel body.  They were getting very hot during operation it seems.  I thought the wire itself might be damaged to I tested this, was ok.

Took out the computer control, opened up the access box to the connections and the found the motor connection was loose.  It must have vibrated itself loose over time (2 years) and caused high resistance on wire, hence the issue overheating.

Put it back together and boom!  Working...I spent probably about 7 hours doing this whole adventure, but I am always up for the challenge with appliances.  My sister-in-law gave me grief about spending the time on this vs. getting a pro or purchasing an extended warrantee, which I had not.  Had I done the two year Ext-W, this would have been a quick fix vs. many days of doing the dishes.  I hope a pro repair would have been just time, since there were no materials - no broken parts, probably under hundred for a pro's troubleshooting time.  I live near NYC so premium prices are the norm.  Extended Warrantee - guessing is about $125.  So...did save money but invested a lot of time on the repair.  Honestly, I think it was more fun trying to figure it out. 

Thanks for the help Dash.