Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Cleaning food chunks out of spray arms?  (Read 108 times)

Offline Calab

• VIP Member
Cleaning food chunks out of spray arms?
« on: October 22, 2020, 03:09:17 PM »

Seems like a silly question, but somehow chunks of food have gotten past the filter in my dishwasher and are plugging up the holes in my spray arms. This results in some nasty dishes at the end of the cleaning cycle.

I can use a toothpick and poke at the holes, but that usually just pushes the food back into the arm, where it will come back to plug up the holes again.

I don't see any way to disassemble the spray arms, so how does one clear out the food chunks from inside the arms?

FWIW, it looks like bits of bean sprouts plugging up the holes. Is there anything that will dissolve organic matter in the spray arms and not damage the plastic, or metal arms?

This is on a KitchenAid KDTE204DBL0

Offline tagarman

• Technician
Re: Cleaning food chunks out of spray arms?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 07:50:26 PM »
I just recently had the same issue with a Kitchen Aid dishwasher.  First I took off the wash arm and tried to wash out the food partials after poking them with a paper clip in the kitchen sink but it seems the water just made them stick inside and that did not work at all.  I finally was able to get them clean by using a compressor that my customer had in the garage and blew them out.  It seems the compressed air dried the food and then it was able to be blown out.  We blew through all the little wash arm holes and the stuff shot out the big hole in the middle where it mounts on the pump.  Try that and see if it work.

Online manden

• Technician
Re: Cleaning food chunks out of spray arms?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 06:13:22 AM »
Tweezers.
Food should be wet so the bits are flaxible.