Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Speed Queen coin operated dryer and washer  (Read 327 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Speed Queen coin operated dryer and washer
« on: October 20, 2020, 01:25:06 PM »

I am looking to buy a set of  used coin operated units that I would prefer to disable the coin operating function  if possible  and am looking for some guidance in doing so. These units are probably at least 10 if not 15 years old but in decent shape. I intend to rehab them and resell them. The arrangement I have used in the past is to merely use a false non locking coin tray instead of the std  locking coin box to collect the coins which are then  easily retrieved to use over and over again.  I would like to rewire the controls and not mess with the coin slide at all and looking for advice to  do this. Can anyone steer me in the right direction for this work ? The model number and s/n's will be published in a later entry hopefully tomorrow.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Speed Queen coin operated dryer and washer
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 06:03:22 PM »
The coin operated units (the coin operation has been disabled) I bought yesterday  have been worked on and I was able to get the dryer working OK with minor amount of work. The washer is a different story and I found 2 problems so far. The lid switch on this model is back in behind and under the console and is very touchy and very difficult to access.. I have tried to get the washer to start  but have had limited success. I have put a wedge in on top of the microswitch to get it to work but even that does not work all the time.  Also the water level pressure switch does not seem to react properly and the tub will continue to fill with water until it starts to overflow. I have disconnected the small sensor hose and have blown thru it and it is not clogged as I can hear water bubbling in the wash tub when I blow thru the hose. I am looking to find some info on the water level switch as regards testing . Can anyone provide some info  for these water level control devices in order for me to test  it. ?
Ref/
dryer model EE2107WT  with s/n S9608023092
washer model EA2121WA      s/n R9510022724

Offline Dash

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 05:55:32 AM »
Your washer takes 35889P pressure switch.  If switch is good you should be able to blow in hose and activate the switch so that washer agitates without water in it.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 06:00:47 AM »
Thanks for the info. I will try it later as I have a few other machines to work on right now.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 09:22:10 AM »
I took the washer back and got a refund.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 10:22:28 AM »
I am still working on the dryer (model number EE2107WT) which is a coin operated electric dryer. The coin operation was and is currently disabled by the previous owner. It runs and heats well but will not shut off unless I open the door. Shutting the door and pushing the start button allows it to restart  . The timer motor is running and the small timer ratchet is able to turn but the shutoff never happens . I am considering using an older Maytag dryer timer  which is model M480. It is a very simple timer with 5 terminals some of which are double terminal type. I am looking for advice on using this device. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 03:18:16 AM »
The dryer in question has been worked on again and the previous timer for coin operation was replaced with an older version rotary dial type timer. The wiring was changed to match up the new timer.  It works better now but still needs calibration for the start  position. Removing the previous coin type timer was a significant job . Hope this was all worth it.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 02:49:49 PM »
The timer I selected to use in place of the coin type timer turned out to be damaged internally but luckily I had another one of the same design which I was able to change out. The problem inside the rotary dial type was a typical problem in that one of the spring type contacts inside was burned badly at one set of contacts. I checked the replacement by a visual inspection inside and verified it was OK. The new timer was installed with the dial sticking out the side of the enclosure. It looks a little funny but works very well and a typical cycle time  is about 60 minutes. I dont advise this changeout for someone who is not patient and skilled in working on dryer controls. Pictures are available on request.