Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool dishwasher - stinks!!!  (Read 213 times)

Offline tagarman

• Technician
Whirlpool dishwasher - stinks!!!
« on: October 19, 2020, 02:14:46 PM »

Hey everyone,  I recently was called to repair a Whirlpool dishwasher M/N: WDT710PAHW1 that has a terrible smell inside.  The customer said her daughter would not use dishes from the dishwasher because even the dishes smelled.  I cleaned the filters inside the dishwasher and installed a drain loop on the drain hose under the sink because there was not one as it drained up and into the garbage disposal.  I thought maybe the disposal was pushing dirty, greasy, smelly stuff back into the dishwasher as she used the disposal.  That did not work and she called me back.  This time I replaced the drain hose because it is a white hard plastic corrugated drain hose and I could see gunk and stuff inside the hose for about the first 3 feet from out of the disposal.  This still did not help and she called back again.  I also ran dishwasher cleaner through it a couple of times.  (Dishwasher Magic & Citric Acid Crystals).  I don't know what else to try.  If anyone has run into a problem like this, please let me know what helped so I can get her dishwasher working correctly again.  Thank you for any help you can give me!!!

Offline DaleCaskanette

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool dishwasher - stinks!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 03:49:21 PM »
They usually have a 2 piece hose there is a back check valve in drain pump out pump end.  Smell has to be coming from disposal or must have horrible water

Offline tagarman

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 08:29:43 PM »
I replaced the drain hose with a universal 1-piece hose to eliminate the hose from the pump (with the check valve).  That is why I installed a drain hose loop under the sink.  You may be right about the smell coming from the disposal.  I'll call her tomorrow and tell her to run some disposal cleaner in the garbage disposal and see if it helps.  Thanks!

Offline bob villa

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 10:23:01 PM »
U want my two cents?  Ask Customer to make up about 2 fluid ounce measuring cup of Arm and Hammer Baking Soda and pre-desolve in a town and after the dishwasher has started and done its first flush add the backing soda water solution.  Ask Customer to also put on table spoon of baking soda in the soap dispenser.  Have them run the machine on long wash and let it sit a few hours.  Then run again on long wash.  Then go back and this time use Nickel Safe Ice Machine Cleaner in the machine adding pre diluted 4 ounces in 1 pint water, again adding after first water dump medium run time.  Then ask customer to (unless you want to sit there for a while) to add 2 tables spoons baking soda to the soap dispenser and run the machine for another medium cycle. 

If you smell any mold I would then use 3 Tablespoons of Bleach to the machine and run for a short wash.

Let me known how it works out. 

I presume you removed any visible grease, mold or mildew also.  Please advise.

Offline tagarman

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 03:11:54 PM »
I'll pass this along to my customer and see if she is willing to try it.  And yes I took this whole dishwasher apart and there is no grease, mold or mildew only smell.  Thanks