Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Oven won't light... fully  (Read 153 times)

Offline Pedro Lee

• VIP Member
Oven won't light... fully
« on: October 01, 2020, 04:05:14 PM »

When I turn on my Hotpoint® 20" Compact Gas Range (RGA520EW2WH) oven, the electrode spark turns on a flame (not a pilot, pic attached) but nothing more. I've read about defective igniters (too weak to open the valve), but not about this issue. If the valve was closed, there would be no flame, right? I've also read how with basic ovens the cost of the replacement part plus the house call ends up coming dangerously close to the price of a new unit, but I resist the idea of changing the whole unit over this malfunction... So I figured the better I can "diagnose it", the more chances I have of fixing this for a reasonable price. That's where you come in... Any help would be appreciated!

Online DaleCaskanette

• Technician
Re: Oven won't light... fully
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 06:13:03 PM »
The spark lights the pilot.  The pilot heats up the mercury tube and opens gas valve. Need gas valve and mercury tube should be complete assembly

Offline Pedro Lee

• VIP Member

Offline Pedro Lee

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 06:34:43 AM »
Disregard previous (moderator, no need to publish), thanks for your prompt reply... I think I found the piece you suggest, but it's no longer available... https://www.partselect.com/PS243231-GE-WB2X8544-PILOT-Assembly.htm?SourceCode=1&SearchTerm=RGA520EW2&ModelNum=RGA520EW2&ModelID=411343
Does it mean I need a new oven or would a similar piece from another brand do the trick? Thanks in advance once again..

Online DaleCaskanette

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 03:48:43 PM »
Try eBay or amazon has to be original part to be certified.