Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Frigidaire refrigerator with lights & freezer fan not working right  (Read 225 times)

Offline tagarman

• Technician

Hey everyone,  I'm working on a Frigidaire side-by-side refrigerator model no: FGUS2676LE0, mfg. date: 04/2010 that has a strange problem.  The freezer & refrigerator lights start off dim & gradually get to full brightness.  These are regular light bulbs, not LED.  This happens every time the doors are opened.  The evaporator fan motor also slows down to what seems like a low speed when the freezer door is open but will speed back up to full speed when the door is closed or I push in the door light switch.  The customer also complained that some of her food is freezing at the top shelf of the refrigerator.  I took out the motorized damper at the top of the refrigerator and turned up the fresh food temp. to 45-degrees and the damper closed so I assume that it is working OK.  I'm thinking something is shorted out somewhere but can not find a wire diagram.  If anyone has a service manual or at least a schematic that would be great.  I you ever ran into this type of a problem or know what I can do to fix this, please let me know.  Thank You!!!

Offline Dash

• Technician
Re: Frigidaire refrigerator with lights & freezer fan not working right
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 11:03:09 AM »
Lights run through the main computer and are supposed to start dim and gradually become brighter.  Marketing department thought it was sexy.

You might check the temp sensor thermistors -- they're inexpensive.  I have changed a few of the thermostatic dampers over the years but that's not common.

Offline tagarman

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 12:20:29 PM »
Thanks Dash,  I'll go out next week to check it out.  Do you have any idea on what the fresh food & freezer thermistors should read with the temperatures at 0 & 37?.  Thanks again for the info!

Offline tagarman

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 12:28:59 PM »
Forgot to ask if you think this has anything to do with the freezer fan speed changing when freezer door is opened?  Is this controlled by the board also?  Could it be faulty?  Thanks again for any help you can give me!

Offline Dash

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 02:13:57 PM »
On many refrigerators, the evaporator fan turn off completely when the doors are opened.  Your Frigidaire may also be programmed this way or at least to jump to the lowest speed if it's a variable speed fan.