Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Replacing Wigwag on Whirlpool Washer  (Read 217 times)

Offline Reillydog00

• VIP Member
Replacing Wigwag on Whirlpool Washer
« on: September 14, 2020, 07:03:26 PM »

I have a "vintage" Whirlpool washing machine in our old family home. It is a top loading belt-drive machine. The spin cycle does not work, and an appliance repairman came to look at it and said that the wigwag needs to be replaced. He checked online and told me that, unfortunately, the part is no longer available. The machine was built in the mid-1980's, and Whirlpool stopped making parts for it years ago. He left advising me to get a different machine.

I went online and within 20 minutes I ordered the part from an appliance supplier. I guess that this was not an option for him. Anyway, while waiting for it to arrive I read everything I could find online about the installation of the wigwag so that I would be prepared to install it when it arrived. It arrived and I got to work. I disconnected the wiring, removed the bolt that secures the wigwag on the center post, and removed the old wigwag without much difficulty.

I am having difficulty installing the new wigwag. It is a very tight fit such that when I place the wigwag over the center post, I cannot push it down into place all the way. From what I can find online this is sometimes an issue - such that if the internal diameter of the wigwag is just slightly off, the insertion of it over the post is a problem.

My plan is just to keep working it, but was hoping that someone could give me some suggestions on what to do. Many thanks.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Replacing Wigwag on Whirlpool Washer
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 08:55:02 AM »
I used a round file on a cordless drill and then grease and work it back and forth. I had 2 machines I had to pull the transmission and use a puller over the last 40 years. Yep they are a bear. Now I miss them and the quality.

Offline Reillydog00

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 01:57:37 PM »
I used a 5/8 inch round drill on my cordless drill which increased the diameter of the wigwag slightly, just enough to give me a good fit. The replacement of the wigwag solved my problem and the machine seems to be working fine. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Many thanks.

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 07:54:35 PM »
This is from a very very long time ago so my memory might be fuzzy, but I believe you have to remove the braces holding the transmission to the base, then loosen the transmission mounting bolts a little to let it slide down a little and give you enough room to work.

On the other hand, I could be thinking of something else, but I don't think you have a lot to lose.

> such that if the internal diameter of the wigwag is just slightly off,

It shouldn't be and I wouldn't file anything.

Make sure the shaft is clean and not rusted (maybe sandpaper a little) and it should go right on.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 07:55:50 PM by tcarmen »