Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG WM2016CW Smoking (bearing seems OK)  (Read 98 times)

Offline boilup

• VIP Member
LG WM2016CW Smoking (bearing seems OK)
« on: September 06, 2020, 10:45:54 AM »

Hey all,

New member here. I have an older LG machine WM2016cw, which has started smoking when putting larger loads in it... I try to spin it and it seems like there is NO play in the bearing/spider gear, although, the rubber in the front has cracks/holes.

Is there a way to check the shocks on the bottom to see if they're still OK? I'm thinking that's the issue but want to be sure, of course. If the shocks are bad, I can see that the unit would move more and cause it to rub against the rubber during the spin cycle.   Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

M

Offline jeff5may

• Technician
Re: LG WM2016CW Smoking (bearing seems OK)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 06:25:09 PM »
It's the guts, man. Sorry for the bad news. If the bearings don't have free play, it's the fidget spinner arm. A teardown will probably reveal cracked spoke or spokes. If you're going to replace it, be sure to get one with the drum bolts included.

Offline boilup

• VIP Member
Re: LG WM2016CW Smoking (bearing seems OK)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 07:07:40 AM »
Yeah sounds like it, doesn't it.  if that's the case I may be throwing good money after bad...  time to break out the washboard, they don't have spokes or bearings :D

Thanks for your  help!