Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Thermal fuse on electric dryer  (Read 209 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Thermal fuse on electric dryer
« on: September 04, 2020, 01:51:36 PM »

I recently took back an Amana electric dryer as the customer complained it would no longer heat. I suspected it was due to a thermal fuse that had opened probably due to a restriction in the outlet duct. It was indeed the situation but I  did not see the customers vent arrangement so I could not prove it. The Thermal fuse has no markings except 309 F. I decided to try something that I have not tried  in the past on this device. I put the device into my deep freeze overnite to see if it would close and be reusable.  It worked ! I am going to wait for a few hours to see if it is indeed is usable or if it has a residual problem. Any comments ?

Offline FiguringItOut

• Technician
Re: Thermal fuse on electric dryer
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 08:13:02 AM »
any results from your test yet?

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 09:58:19 PM »
That thermal fuse is a safety device.
don't take chances. It failed. Just replace it.

Offline joeq5516

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 11:14:05 AM »
I've been wondering...can manually-reset type thermal devices provide adequate safety?  If so, why are they not used?

Offline jeff5may

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 06:57:02 PM »
Ok so I'm with scrapiron on this issue. With the majority of electric dryers, the high limit thermostat and thermal fuse are both safety critical components. They keep the heating element operating in a range where things will tend not to catch fire. When the thermal fuse blows, it's because the high limit thermostat was lazy.

These two components are different between models and brands for the same reason. Don't try to amp up a Samsung or Frigidaire dryer by changing out components from a whirlpool duet dryer. It could dry faster and not pop thermal fuses, but eventually the thing could burn down a laundry room somewhere.

Even on pretty new unit, I swap out the high limit thermostat and thermal fuse together. New and matched is a good way to eliminate repeat service, as well as a look see at the outlet of the dryer vent.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 11:57:05 AM »
Overnite I put another one of these thermal fuse items in my deep freeze that was prior to this showing as  an open circuit device. After being in the freezer overnite it was still showing as open. I will try it again using dry ice which is colder and see what happens. The markings on the mtg plate is 309 F and no other markings.