Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Stylemaster help  (Read 219 times)

Offline IshmaelStylemaster

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Stylemaster help
« on: September 03, 2020, 01:30:18 PM »

Hey, so I'm having some problems with a lemon I bought from a local appliance repair place. 5 days out of warranty and it broke, they refuse to offer any kind of extension and I couldn't afford it without that so it's up to me to fix it.

Its a stylemaster 4217140.

So the issue is it's filling, but won't spin or drain, and there is a terrible burning smell. Now some googling suggested that the lid switch might be busted, but that doesn't account for the burning smell. It also looks okay to me when I take the case off.

So I figure maybe something is wrong with the motor, I get down there and take the motor off, clutch seems okay and the pump seems alright too, but I don't know enough about motors to know if that's shot itself or of it's something deeper in there. I don't see any exposed belts, which is what I expected made the burning smell.

I have almost complete photos of the break down of anyone things it would help.

• VIP Member
Re: Whirlpool Stylemaster help
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 02:34:26 PM »
Whoops, I don't mean clutch, I mean the little three prong gear between the motor and the gearbox.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 03:27:37 PM »
Sometimes the water pump gets a lot of material wedged inside--- a sock or whatever. I suggest you look at the pump to make sure it turns easily. otherwise it is likely a transmission problem. The motor is trying to turn and does not or cannot do it due to the bound up pump or transmission.

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 03:43:54 PM »
Sometimes the water pump gets a lot of material wedged inside--- a sock or whatever. I suggest you look at the pump to make sure it turns easily. otherwise it is likely a transmission problem. The motor is trying to turn and does not or cannot do it due to the bound up pump or transmission.

The pump seems clear. I can turn it easily with a screw driver. I'm thinking the same thing about the transmission being bad. I can turn the drum easily from the bottom now that the transmission is out of the way. The thing in the second picture.

Is there a way to test the transmission? I've got it sitting out on the case. Any ideas on where to get one on the cheap or if there is a way to repair one?

Offline jeff5may

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 09:50:40 PM »
Ok so you have a whirlpool direct drive washer. Ultra common and super durable. A few questions:

Does the washer agitate during wash cycle? That's forward speed.

When the washer goes to drain and spin, the timer runs the motor for a minute or three, then pauses , then runs the motor again.  During the short run, the unit should drain only. Then during the long run, the basket should spin while the drain pump does it's job like usual. It's called the neutral drain something something.

The motor sandwich comes right apart from the coupler and drain pump with clips and a couple of screws. If I am in there I change the coupler, just about every time, but definitely always if the coupler doesn't have the metal center collars.

These transmissions are super common and were built for decades. Find an appliance boneyard near you and make your dreams come true.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 09:52:44 PM by jeff5may »

Offline Dash

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 12:09:06 PM »
What is the model number of your washer?  Hold the lid at a 45 degree angle and look at the tag that's between the two hinges to find the model number.

A bad lid switch can cause a burning smell though it's not common.  Your burning smell may be coming from the motor.  If the motor is bad OR the capacitor is bad OR the big multi-connector that plugs into the motor has some wimpy contacts, the motor may overheat and cause the burning smell.  It can also come from a bad connection of a connector into the timer.

To check your transmission, turn the 3-prong coupler by hand 15 times each direction.  It should be a little bit harder to turn in the spin direction and little easier to turn in the agitate direction.  Transmission must be in the washer to make this manual test meaningful.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 04:38:35 PM »
Take your meter out and check that the Motor Start Capacitor is good - place meter on "UF Setting" and measure the UF and match it up to the specs imprinted on the Start Capacitor. Make sure it did not burn up or melt! That could be your smell also!