Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool md# wrf757sdem01 dual evaporator  (Read 2235 times)

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
Whirlpool md# wrf757sdem01 dual evaporator
« on: September 09, 2018, 12:41:01 PM »

Whirlpool md# wrf757sdem01 dual evaporator. Upper fresh food evaporator coil has solid 3 inch of ice on top blocking almost 100% of air flow. Read one article that says evaporator cover is the problem and needs to be replaced. My first thought was and still is faulty thermistor, even though it tested good in Diagnostics. Did notice that thermistor was sloppy loose on coil. This is the second one of these I seen and was wondering if anyone out there has ran across this problem? This is one of whirlpools newer design French door that has the ice maker in the ceiling. This is an issue that most service technicians will eventually run across and good information will help us all in the future.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 12:46:27 PM by haroldsappliance »

Offline sarjushah

• VIP Member
Re: Whirlpool md# wrf757sdem01 dual evaporator
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 06:28:23 AM »
loose thermister is sure not good. you can secure tight to coil. evaporator fan motor comes with new thermister

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 02:53:07 PM »
Freezer evaporator coil comes with sensor and limit switch. I was referring to the fresh food evaporator which does not. The fresh food evaporator sensor comes with wiring harness part number wpw10277799.

Offline JohnnyK

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 01:35:01 PM »
I have the same problem with my whirlpool. Itís a different model but same condition. Worked for a bit over a year then started not cooling in fridge but ok in freezer. I bought a new thermistor that ohms out about 10% different from the original. I will be installing soon and will let you know.  Itís a real pain to take the thing apart to get to the evaporator too. You have to take off one of the doors to get the shelves out. Take the right door off then you donít have to deal with the water lines.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 02:49:40 PM »
There is no reason to take a door off

Offline Draymc48

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 09:46:04 AM »
i just finished installing the thermistor that comes with the harness. agree that there is no need for door removal. pretty standard issue with these. I've changed several

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 07:51:18 AM »
we have done two of these lately. changed the evaporator fan in the fridge. comes with temp and defrost sensor.  I show it to be part number W11033168.

Part 24 under REFRIGERATOR LINER PARTS on the diagram.
(edited to add correct part number)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 07:56:38 AM by schleven »
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 06:44:48 PM »
 :thanks:

Offline DaleCaskanette

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 04:13:10 PM »
there was a service bulletin about that use a pull tie to secure thermister tightly to evap causes intermittent cooling and defrost

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 07:18:05 PM »
I've seen that, and that is a great tip thank you

Offline Michael911

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 11:54:20 AM »
Hi,
Have the same issue. Can anyone please send a link to service manual for this model and service bulletin?

Thank you in advance.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 12:56:35 PM »
As previously stated the service pointer indicates that the thermistor is apparently loose and the repair procedure would be to remove all Frost or ice buidup with a hair dryer or heat gun and secure sensor in place with a plastic tie strap.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 02:29:31 PM »
Instruction Sheet for Freezer Thermistor
Found this!

Offline Michael911

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 11:37:40 AM »
Thank You very much!

Appreciate your help!

Offline kwyoon

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 04:16:14 PM »
I realize this topic is old, but seems very relevant since I am facing the same issue on the same model now.  Would it worth a try to defrost the evaporator and try to re-tieing the thermistor/defrost sensor to the coils before trying to replace the fan/thermistor/defrost sensor?

Offline drkillabrew

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2020, 05:38:41 PM »
Hello folks, I'm having the same issue described herein. Upon opening up the evaporator cover in the upper (fridge) section, I can clearly see a thermistor attached to the copper coil . Most of this discussion regards the thermistor in the freezer. There is no thermistor shown in the refrigerator diagram for this model, but clearly there is one present (see picture, thermistor circled in white). So, is that the same thermistor as is located in the freezer section? If not, can anyone provide a p/n for the thermistor that goes into the fridge section?
Thanks
DK

Offline kwyoon

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2020, 06:24:37 PM »
The part number is W11033168 as written in a post above.  The thermister is not a separate part, but comes attached to the fan along with the defrost sensor.

Offline drkillabrew

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 10:12:55 AM »
Thank you, kwyoon. I'm curious about the function of this assembly. I did not see any obvious defrost heater in the RC section of this unit, so I'm wondering how the separate evaporator coil in the RC defrosts itself? I've ordered the fan assembly, but am still curious as to the defrost function. I did not see any obvious thermal pathway between the freezer coil/defrost heater and the RC section, so I don't think the freezer defrost cycle affects the RC evaporator assembly, but I could be missing something.

Offline kwyoon

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 03:11:12 PM »
Hi drkillabrew, your observations are absolutely correct and therein lies the design flaw of all (most) these top mount refrigerators with ice-maker on the top.  In order to be able to make ice and keep it frozen in a compartment in the fresh food section, they have to add an extra evaporator in the fresh food compartment.  Without adding an extra defrost heater element, they rely on passive defrosting to defrost this evaporator.

I think this defrost sensor detects if it is getting too cold for too long and then shuts off the fresh food compartment evaporator and fan.  I don't know if it also shuts off the freezer evaporator and compressor and turns on the freezer defroster, but since it seems they have separate controls for all the components, I don't think it would.  Then it relies on the fact that the refrigerator compartment is above freezing temperature and that would melt whatever ice got accumulated.  If you've ever left ice in the refrigerator, you'll know that it eventually melts, but not that fast so this thing should keep doing it's job or else a big block of ice will never melt.  When I started noticing this problem the first time, I just unplugged the fridge and let it melt over night.  After I plugged it back in, everything started working normally, but I noticed this time that the fridge always seemed to stay on and never completely shutoff.  It was probably doing that before when something failed the first time and I didn't pay attention to it.  Of course, it started icing up again.  I hope it is due to this defrost sensor or thermistor being bad and replacing the evaporator fan unit will solve the problem.  If not, I'm thinking of somehow rigging up a defroster to this evaporator, but I guess it would be dangerous if it isn't timed with the evaporator actually turning off.

I wish these things were not so complicated with so many components that can fail.  I mean what happened to keep it stupid simple?  I guess consumers are to blame for wanting these bells and whistles that the appliance companies are throwing at us.  Also, the appliance companies like all this complexity and design flaws since it keeps all the money flowing from all the replacement parts and keeps repair technicians busy and in business.

Offline kwyoon

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 12:09:40 AM »
Actually, according to this operation manual, it looks like I was wrong about the function of the defrost sensor.

Even though this operation manual seems to be describing the function of a GE refrigerator, it sounds like the Whirlpool would have similar operation.  As described the defrost sensor is used to measure the temperature of the evaporator at the end of the defrost cycle.  But one key component that appears to be missing on the Whirlpool is the defrost heater for the fresh food compartment evaporator.