Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE TFX22ZRSAWH Ice maker only dispenses crushed ice  (Read 129 times)

Offline lfuller1

• VIP Member
GE TFX22ZRSAWH Ice maker only dispenses crushed ice
« on: September 02, 2020, 03:45:33 PM »

My 1993 refrigerator ice maker has just recently began to fail in not dispensing ice cubes.  Crushed ice can only be dispensed regardless of the switch selector position.  Upon examination I find that the flap to direct ice cubes is not moving from the crushed setting to allow cubes to directly be dispensed.  When I move the lever that changes the cube diverter flap from the crushed position, it would appear that ice cubes could be dispensed. This is controlled by a solenoid to move the diverter flap.
Without the ice bucket in the freezer, the solenoid seems to move but not enough to move the diverter flap lever.  The armature appears to be pulling up into the solenoid when activated but not completely.  The replacement kit is WR62x23154 and includes the solenoid, armature, and plastic lever and cost ~ $50.
Is it possible that the armature or the solenoid opening has rust that is preventing it from being completely engaged?  I can manually move the armature to be completely engaged (and then pull it out) but it feels "sticky" when being moved.
Have found a great video at this link that shows the exact replacement freezer compartment for my refrigerator:

https://www.fix.com/parts/refrigerator/general-electric/fix11699580/ice-dispenser-solenoid-service-kit-wr62x23154/?SourceCode=3&SearchTerm=wr62x23154#RepairVideo

Thanks in advance..

Offline Dash

• Technician
Re: GE TFX22ZRSAWH Ice maker only dispenses crushed ice
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 01:00:46 AM »
The plunger of the crush/cube solenoid should be loose, almost rattling.

Offline lfuller1

• VIP Member
Re: GE TFX22ZRSAWH Ice maker only dispenses crushed ice - SOLVED
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 02:29:18 PM »
Pulled the ice maker dispensing motor panel today and found that one of the the ice cube dispensing solenoid tang that holds the solenoid together had broken.  Replaced the WR62X23154 solenoid with a used one found on E-Bay for $16.99. 
Glad that I had ordered a replacement before taking it apart.
We can now select either crushed or cubed ice and either can be dispensed from the door.

Problem solved..