Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: KitchenAid KRMF706ESS01 Frustrating the heck out of me!  (Read 265 times)

Offline mrbottowood

• VIP Member
KitchenAid KRMF706ESS01 Frustrating the heck out of me!
« on: September 01, 2020, 03:37:09 PM »

KitchenAid 5 door Refrigerator, model #: KRMF706ESS01
(About 5 years old)

------------------------------------
The main displayed symptoms/problems with the refrigerator are:

--The Display shows "PF" and asked for it to be confirmed.( which I've done severally, to no avail)
--Partial cooling in the RC (though its not cold enough, just barely cooling)
--No cooling at all in the FC
--No light in both compartments
--It made some weird sound, but that has since stopped.
-------------------------------------

After reading extensively on this forum for solutions,

I entered the diagnostic mode with (SW1+SW2)
when I got to Service Test 1 (FC Thermistor),
I did not get any code 01 or 02 or 03 result. The display only showed a red: Replace Filter

meanwhile the tech sheet said:

"The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display flashes results on the Temp
Display. (01 = Pass, 02 = Open, 03 = Short)."

I got the same result for Service Test 2(RC Thermistor), just a red: Replace Filter.
---------------
Can the experts here please tell me what that no code result means?
---------------
A few other diagnostic test modes I tried showed the correct (01 or 02 or 03) for the results.

I've been at this for over 10 days now, so far I've bought and changed:

The Main board (W10675033),
Power supply board (W10624574),
The LED board (W10804160),
The FC evaporator fan motor(W11249952)

These changes were done sequentially, days apart, after reading several pages here (thinking the tried step will solve the problem as it did for others)
overall I've spent over $1000 CAD on the $3.5K refrigerator,yet my problem isn't fixed.

I even paid some random repair dude to come look at it(After my wife lost her patience with my amateur self LOL), he-repair dude, said we need to change the power supply board and LED board + labour fee blah blah.
I knew he was clueless when he said that. (Paid him $80 diagnostic fee to tell me nothing! He's just as clueless)

I've read pages and pages of this forum and a few others. Now I'm totally clueless.

Can someone please help me! I'm deeply frustrated now!
What other test/step/action should I take?

Offline FiguringItOut

• Technician
Re: KitchenAid KRMF706ESS01 Frustrating the heck out of me!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 04:42:04 PM »
have you put a meter on it to test the sensors yourself? Is the compressor warm or hot? I think you said you changed out the evap fan, did you see any frost on the evap?  A $1000 on a $3500 fridge is hard to swallow! I feel for you. KitchenAides can be tough!

Offline mrbottowood

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 08:02:34 PM »
have you put a meter on it to test the sensors yourself? Is the compressor warm or hot? I think you said you changed out the evap fan, did you see any frost on the evap?  A $1000 on a $3500 fridge is hard to swallow! I feel for you. KitchenAides can be tough!

I do have a multimeter.
@FiguringItOut, How can I test the sensors? How do I check if the compressor is warm or hot?

Yes I changed the evaporator fan motor, I did not see any frost on the evaporator. It was free and clear of frost, like I've said, there is no cooling/freezing going on at all in the FC.

I'm ready to do any test anyone can assist me with.

Offline FiguringItOut

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 08:52:17 PM »
can you take a good, legible picture of the tech sheet and post?

Thanks!

Offline FiguringItOut

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 07:48:37 AM »
the easiest way to check the compressor is to touch it, but if you have a temperature gun, that's better.  If it is hot to the touch, as if you will get burned if you keep your hand on it, then you have a sealed system problem along with your electrical problem.

The sensors can be tested by shooting them with temperature gun, take several readings on the sensor. Then take your meter and using the ohm settings get your reading. So get your temperature and ohm readings and post back.

Offline mrbottowood

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 03:28:31 PM »
can you take a good, legible picture of the tech sheet and post?

Thanks!

Attached, is the PDF version of my tech sheet.
It is the same exact copy of the original paper form.

the easiest way to check the compressor is to touch it, but if you have a temperature gun, that's better.  If it is hot to the touch, as if you will get burned if you keep your hand on it, then you have a sealed system problem along with your electrical problem.

The sensors can be tested by shooting them with temperature gun, take several readings on the sensor. Then take your meter and using the ohm settings get your reading. So get your temperature and ohm readings and post back.

Where can I find the sensors? Which of the sensors (assuming there are more than 1), I do not know where they are.
And I don't have a temperature gun.
Can i test the sensor another way?

Thanks a lot sir @FiguringItOut

Offline FiguringItOut

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 10:08:09 PM »
Thanks for the tech sheet! Here is a link to a diagrams of your sensors

https://www.appliancepartspros.com/shelf-parts-parts-for-kitchenaid-krmf706ess01.html

The only sensor that I saw was located in the fridge shelf parts, diagram number 8. Looks like it is located in or around the right rail for the door. I know that there is another for the freezer section, but it isn't listed in the parts but number 9 on the diagram looks suspicious. Take the sensor and set in a glass of ice water for a few minutes and then take the ohm reading. If you are interested in how it works, take a reading before you drop it in the ice and keep the probes in the ends and watch your meter change.

However, I haven't had your problem of the flashing light instead of it showing an 01,02 during diagnosis. Hopefully someone else has seen it and can chime in shortly. Remember that all of this can be caused moot by a sealed system issue. Speaking of which...

Did you get a chance to touch the compressor?

Offline FiguringItOut

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 10:57:52 PM »
your tech sheet shows a 5 thermistors tests.
Service Test - 1 FC thermistor
Service Test - 2 RC Thermistor
Service Test - 32 Ambient Thermistor UI Control
Service Test - 39 RC Evap Thermistor
Service Test - 77 Defrost Thermistor

Do all except for the first pass the test showing a 1 or 2

What happens when you run ervice Test - 66 Manufacturing Codes?

Offline mrbottowood

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 03:04:01 PM »
@FiguringItOut, I can't thank you enough. Thank you so much for helping thus far.

your tech sheet shows a 5 thermistors tests.
Service Test - 1 FC thermistor
Service Test - 2 RC Thermistor
Service Test - 32 Ambient Thermistor UI Control
Service Test - 39 RC Evap Thermistor
Service Test - 77 Defrost Thermistor

Do all except for the first pass the test showing a 1 or 2

What happens when you run ervice Test - 66 Manufacturing Codes?

Service Test - 1 FC thermistor ----->Result: No code (that is, no 01/02/03 result code), It flashed the amber "order filter" and went straight to the red: replace filter

Service Test - 2 RC Thermistor ----->Result: No code (that is, no 01/02/03 result code), It flashed the amber "order filter" and went straight to the red: replace filter

Service Test - 39 RC Evap Thermistor ----->Result: No code (that is, no 01/02/03 result code), It flashed the amber "order filter" and went straight to the red: replace filter

Service Test - 77 Defrost Thermistor ----->Result: No code (that is, no 01/02/03 result code), It flashed the amber "order filter" and went straight to the red: replace filter

Service Test - 32 Ambient Thermistor UI Control------>Result: code 01 with the red: "replace filter" flashing (This is only different result)

Service Test - 66 Manufacturing Codes?----->Result: shows code E0

Thanks for the tech sheet! Here is a link to a diagrams of your sensors

https://www.appliancepartspros.com/shelf-parts-parts-for-kitchenaid-krmf706ess01.html

The only sensor that I saw was located in the fridge shelf parts, diagram number 8. Looks like it is located in or around the right rail for the door. I know that there is another for the freezer section, but it isn't listed in the parts but number 9 on the diagram looks suspicious. Take the sensor and set in a glass of ice water for a few minutes and then take the ohm reading. If you are interested in how it works, take a reading before you drop it in the ice and keep the probes in the ends and watch your meter change.

However, I haven't had your problem of the flashing light instead of it showing an 01,02 during diagnosis. Hopefully someone else has seen it and can chime in shortly. Remember that all of this can be caused moot by a sealed system issue. Speaking of which...

Did you get a chance to touch the compressor?

First let me say,
I left all the new parts in the refrigerator (Main board, Power supply board, Evap. fan motor, and the LED board)---pretty much all the new parts i listed in my OP above.
I left those new parts in it while I contemplate my next moves (to either start returning some of the parts because they're damn expensive & to give Kitchenaid a call after that) but I woke up today to find both sides RC & FC cooling/Freezing just fine, to my surprise and confusion and slight happiness!

Like a bad season ending cliffhanger! Now there is no light in both sections.

I'll monitor the cooling&freezing for the next 2 days for stability (if acts up again then I'll give Kitchenaid a call, fingers crossed)

Secondly,,
What should I be doing next to get the lights back on?
What should I be testing or fixing?

@FiguringItOut, I looked at that diagram from the linked you posted re: the sensors.
Which of the numbers in the diagram is the sensor? I looked at all the numbers below the diagram too...no sensor listed.
And what does the sensor(s) do exactly?

Lastly,
I have touched the compressor. It is warm to touch, doesn't burn nor cold to touch. I could leave my fingers on it for a good 5-7 seconds without feeling burnt.

But like I've said, the RC and FC are cooling and Freezing properly now, I guess all the new changed parts took their time to kick into gear BUT still though, no lights!

Thanks again.
I wish more seasoned experts here would chime in as well. So far you're all I've got...LOL

Offline Repairs.pridehvac

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 11:16:58 PM »
Hope you figured it out but just in case. On the middle or on one of the middle drawers there's a control for the crisper. If it's not the crisper then look at the control that's on one of the middle drawers. Check if it works, that you can select the temps. If not open it and check for water damage. Unplug it and then unplug the fridge to reboot. Good luck.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 07:13:22 AM »
Mr. bottowood there is a wiring harness that is attached to the left side of the middle crisper drawer that runs the length of the drawer on the LEFT SIDE HINGE this is exactly what was happening to mine it took me 1 week to figure it out. That Refrigerator and mine has Self Closing Doors - what I found out on mine was the Wiring Harness came out of the sheathing and the Black Wire that controls the unit and crispers and lights was cut from the self closing drawers. All I had to do is take the drawer out and resolder the Black (MAIN) Wire and reattach the wiring harness to the Left Side Frame and Wrap Wiring Harness to secure.

Had all the same issue you had along with NO Lights when doors were opened - Cooling Issues and No Touch Controls. This fixed a $5,000. Refrigerator that a KitchenAid technician couldn't find issue after Multiple Parts were swapped out including Computer Boards/Sensors/Thermistors. Hope this help-please let us know if this helps.