Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Samsung Washer - not spinning, grinding noise (video link) help  (Read 273 times)

Offline joedroid78

• VIP Member

Hello all,

I have a 10 year old Samsung Washer (WF350ANW/XAA 04) that stopped washing - video here - Youtube link

• I hear a grinding noise as it attempts to spin/rotate the drum
  • I also see the drum seems a little sloped towards the back. Not sure whether it is by design or something is off.
Appreciate any help/suggestion you could provide. With the Covid, most washers are back-ordered and I really appreciate your help here.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Samsung Washer - not spinning, grinding noise (video link) help
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 06:53:42 AM »
More than likely if it's 10 years old the back support spider bracket has snapped and needs replacing. Open the front door and grab the stainless steel basket and lift up? Is there any play in the Stainless Steel Tub only? Does it give for than a 1" or so if so you bracket has snapped that what the grinding noise is. Also check your drain pump filter - unscrew your filter at bottom and look inside the filter is there any metal pieces in the screen pump?

I've seen these type of washers snap the back bracket in less than 2 years old!! Let us know what you find. There are plenty of pictures on this site on how to repair if you need help DM me and I will walk you through it.

Blaiser

Offline joedroid78

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 08:20:19 AM »
Thank you for the information Blaiser. Here are my findings based on your suggestion

1. The drum seems like it has a play - it sort of bangs itself (about an inch, I think) when I push it up from inside. - Youtube Video here

2. Opened the filter and saw ripped-off rubber grey gasket and a stone or rock. Not sure whether it is a metal but can't be sure - Youtube video here

Does this give you any additional information on the spyder bracket?

Offline EricL

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 02:25:30 PM »
Similar issue here....

I have an LG frontload model WM2133C. Mfg 2009 (according to a sticker at back on drum)

Started acting up. When drum trying to turn, it would buzz and jerk. Took back panel off. Tried starting a cycle and I hear a buzzing sound and some jerking when motor attempts to engage. Could it be a defective Hall sensor? Did a OHM test, reads 10.

Here is a video to help: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HNsFrXqyGduUoVGa7

Any thoughts? Insight?

Thx for your help.

Eric

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 12:42:43 PM »
I am not famiilar with this model but another unit with  the same type of design usually has a problem with the bearings and the support  bracket when they get to this age. You will need to dismantle it but the repair is not easy and not cheap. Some special tools may be needed and lots of $ if you try to repair this unit. Consider replacing it instead of repairing. Cost of repair by a DIY person is likely $250 or more for the parts

Offline joedroid78

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 01:40:11 PM »
Thanks for the note Thorning.

I ended-up dismantling the unit and just as Blaiser mentioned, the spyder bracket had completely deteriorated and broken off from the spindle. Thats why even though the motor was attempting to spin, the drum was not rolling. I basically found the metal bracket broken down into sand/stone like consistency. In my video you can see there are lot of small black pieces of sand/stone... basically, these are pieces from the deteriorated spyder bracket. I was amazed at how it got to that. Anyway, I ended up purchasing a few things (link below) and replaced them all. I also bought thread locker (blue Loctite from Home Depot and Danco appliance grease). I'm yet to put them all together as I'm still waiting on the tub-seal which was to be delivered today.  Hoping to do the laundry after 3 weeks... can't wait :) In total, it costed me about $135 (approximately). A new one costs about ~$800. If this works and I can extract another 6/7 years, I'll be very glad.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081FFSWPP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HFL6RTN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HPAL9W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 06:50:49 AM »
AWESOME if you going to replace it make sure you check your rear bearings - if tub seal was shot and leaking it would leak into the Front Bearing 1st then then rear bearing drying out the grease in the bearings and basically rust out!

If needed I'd replace both bearings also since your in there (front and rear bearing) for under $20.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 07:02:50 AM »
The Front and Rear bearings you will need are 6305-2RS and 6306-2RS (2 R.S.= 2 R.ubber S.eals)

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 07:09:22 AM »
Make sure you OVER soak the Bolt holding the Spyder on the basket with Penetrating Oil or they will more than likely SNAP off. You might want to order New bolts with Spyder Support. Be patient and slowly untighten the bolts (10mm. socket) 1/8" or 1/4" then tighten the bolt back and forth so they DO NOT SNAP - I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH S-L-O-W-L-Y untighten and then Tighten until it breaks loose. If you try to untighten at once they will SNAP!!!!

Offline joedroid78

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 11:27:55 AM »
Thanks for the advice on the bearing

1. I was told that the bearing on this unit is sort of built inside the tub and can't be removed. Is that true?
2. There is a small metal ring in the spindle (bearing spacer). How important is it? Mine broke as I was attempting to put the drum inside the tub. I can order one, but it will take a few days. I'm sort of desperate to do my laundry after weeks.

Thank you