Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool WDT780SAM2 - Plastic Item Melted to Heating Unit  (Read 141 times)

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
Whirlpool WDT780SAM2 - Plastic Item Melted to Heating Unit
« on: July 27, 2020, 08:50:59 PM »

A friend mentioned that she had a plastic item fall during the wash cycle and it ended up on the heating element below.....melted, and made a mess; see picture.
I'm sure this is a fairly common occurrence, but I'm wondering what might be the best approach to correct this issue.  Can the melted plastic be removed or is this a situation where the heating element needs to be replaced....?
TIA!

Offline manden

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool WDT780SAM2 - Plastic Item Melted to Heating Unit
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 08:26:14 AM »
You should not have to replace the element.

You have to be somewhat gentle with it.

I would heat it up with a hair dryer to soften it and then cut off as much as you can with side cutters

Then gently scrape/wipe off the rest.

I do not have a tech sheet for this unit so do not know if you can force the heater on.
The tech sheet may be behind the kick plate.
If it can be forced on then after it is as clean as you can get it do that and then wipe off more of it once most of it is off by the method above.
Use a rag and be careful not to burn yourself.
Do not let it get too hot.
Also it will stink.

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
Re: Whirlpool WDT780SAM2 - Plastic Item Melted to Heating Unit
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 04:49:34 PM »
Thank you for your reply and suggestions!   I'll pass this information on.